Progress and Accountability

• This topic has 9 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated by .
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Tamara
      Course Participant

What concerns do you have about monitoring student progress in an online learning community? How do you ensure learners receive timely and consistent feedback on their progress and goals? How do these strategies differ in the the online community (when compared to an in-person class)?

Charley

I am very worried that there will be students that will not be reached because there isnt as much one on one time with the students. Also, I feel like the feedback will be delayed unlike if they were in a seated class.I try to check in with the students as much as I can. I also try to provide feedback on their completed work. The only difference with this and what I do in class, is that in class is much quicker for feedback than online.

Sherry

Concerns about monitoring student progress in an online learning community include cheating, expectations being too high for progress speed, and retention of information. Like Tamara’s example, there must be a systematic check-in for students to be sure everyone is on the same track and not lost in the weeds. I am not sure whether once a week will be followed by my students. Maybe there should be a preset total of check-ins with a “prize” attached to each level check in. For example, if the class is 8 weeks long, then the student would check in 6 times to give them extra time for course completion. Knowing this in advance may lead to more motivation and participation. In person, a look on the students’ faces tell you much about progress or frustration.

Sherry

Feedback time can be timely for online students with some organized management. Yes, you would have to check on your class’s progress every day. Students perform when they know what is expected of them, so if you expect some reasonable responses, they will offer them.

Brandy

Some progress can be monitored by using quizzes and forms that can be autocorrected to provide immediate feedback. Also, ensuring that the class is being monitored-two colleagues and I have joined our classes during this time which allows for more monitoring. Also providing virtual office hours for direct interaction and feedback. Many of my students are parents and completing their work on the weekend, so I also think it’s important for monitoring to happen then as well ( as a parent to two under 5, I am doing a lot of work on the weekend so I can fill this need).

Kimberly Libby

I am concerned about not being able to see my students; their faces provide so much feedback such as how well they are enjoying the lesson, whether they are frustrated, disengaged, or are having a lightbulb moment. In person, I can use this information to go deeper, slow down, or change up what I am doing to better meet their needs.

In an online setting, I can provide immediate feedback to my students by using auto-correcting quizzes or providing them with examples of responses that they can use to compare to their own. To receive more personalized feedback in a timely and consistent manner, I would need to assign due dates and schedule time shortly there-after to review these assignments. I would need to communicate this with students so they know when to expect feedback. Feedback could be written, a recorded video/audio message, or a live conference with the student.

Elizabeth Connallon

I am concerned that I rely so much on immediate in person feedback – a look on someone’s face, or a pause in their writing to redirect/re-engage which does not translate to an online learning model. Using auto-correct forms would offer immediate feedback as long as the correct answer fits the style of the learner but can be limiting (your answer is marked wrong because of a limit to the form). I am concerned because my students are not in the habit of reading written feedback. I think then that the online model for feedback would have to include some one on one time. How feedback is going to be given would have to be explained and modeled up front so that students look for the feedback in a certain place or a certain way at a particular time. The feedback would have to be systematic and then I think students would look forward to hearing/seeing it.

Susan Kelley

In an online community, students may do the work whenever it is convenient for them as long as it is complete before the stated deadline so a teacher never really knows when they are needed. Posted office hours are helpful in this so students know there are exact times when the instructor is available to meet with them. Instructors also need to respond to student work at regular intervals throughout the week so students do not feel alone in their studies. The teacher needs to post feedback every day so students feel supported in their work. The teacher should let students know when to expect feedback throughout the week and they should also know what days the instructor is off-duty. Learners should always be reminded to check the class discussion section in their course to see if another student has had the same question or concern that has already been addressed.

Chantelle Hidalgo

I am actually very concerned about monitoring and assessing student progress in an online classroom. Many of my students come to my class starting off and embarrassed with a lack of self esteem and confidence. I can usually assess their abilities and frustrations through their body language, actions and small conversations. Many students will not easily speak out when they need help or clarity. They would rather wait until I realize and then offer my assistance.
      Another concern is providing feedback. In an online classroom I can provide quizzes and assignments that give immediate feedback on their work. One downside to this is that students can get very discouraged when if they see they are getting answers wrong. I am also concerned that feedback and assignments I grade and return will be overlooked. Some students, if it is not instant gratification they do not return to the work.
      Goal setting is also something I have been thinking about for online classrooms. It has become easy and fun to set individual daily, weekly, and monthly goals for each student. In the online classroom this may become a bit more challenging to set individual goals, as well as keep them motivated. I know this will all become possible and better with practice for an online classroom.

Shanona

Feedback is an area that I sometimes get worried about.  I want my students to understand that they will get feedback, but it may not be instantly like they want it to be.  I often find myself rereading assignments to make sure I understand what the student is saying.  Then I have students sitting in my classroom as well who are waiting for instant responses from me.   I struggle with balancing time spent on online students and time with face to face students.  I have been alternating so all of my students get feedback almost immediately.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar