Discussion Question 1: Initial Post from Pierre

• This topic has 37 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated by .
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Pierre LaFun
      Keymaster

Pick Option 1 or Option 1:

Option 1: For educators who have used rubrics with adult learners.

Describe your experience using rubrics with adult learners.  When have you used rubrics in your classroom and why did you choose to use one?

How did your students respond?  How do you need to do grow as an educator  to use rubrics more effectively?

Option 2: For educators who have NOT used rubrics with adult learners.

How does using rubrics align with your teacher style and/or challenge your teaching style?  To use rubrics effectively, what do you anticipate are your first steps of implementation?

• #28302 Reply
      Peggy Wilson

Option 1: For educators who have used rubrics with adult learners.

I have used rubrics in evaluating and scoring projects and discussion board posts.  I chose to use rubrics because they are beneficial to students and instructors.  Students clearly know the criteria and scoring scale before submitting projects or posts.  This removes unnecessary anxiety and guides  in applying skills. For me, it takes the guesswork out of scoring.  Rubric guidelines make scoring very objective in cases where scoring could be very  subjective and possibly unfair.

My students have responded positive to rubrics.  I need to reevaluate my rubrics for improvement.

• #28307 Reply
        Sophia Azhar

Great idea Peggy, anything that helps lower the student’s anxiety is wonderful.  I know I will start using rubrics immediately.

• #28390 Reply
          Laura Sanabria

Peggy,

These are encouraging words. I do appreciate that our students will be less confused by what’s expected. Or at the very least, clarity from me will provide clarity for them.

• #28503 Reply
            Joan Duffie

Option 1:

I have used the Reading and Math Rubrics for my Adult Learners.  The adult learners really enjoyed the classes. They were able to follow allow with Rubrics and they have moved Measureable Skills Gains Level.  Some adult learners have obtained their GED.

• #28663 Reply
            Zina Matthews-Holmes

I agree that anxiety is the number one fear of my students.  Therefore, I’m obligated to reduce that for them and to create a positive learning experience in which they’ll look forward to.  I like the idea of me starting a paragraph by writing one sentence and have each student contribute with one sentence…then we’ll converge once its finished to discuss the finished/evolving product.  What do you think?

• #28476 Reply
          Jackie Roach

That’s a great idea, Peggy, to use rubrics for the discussion board. That is something I need to look into.

• #28505 Reply
          Joan Duffie

I agree.  My students have really improved their learning abilities and they have been improving their scores.

• #28664 Reply
          Zina Matthews-Holmes

Ms. Peggy,

I love it!!  When educators reflect on their instruction/teaching methodology, it provides them with a little more clarity on how they could improve their pedagogical skill set.

• #28975 Reply
          Annette Merier

I like the idea of using a rubric for discussion boards.  I agree that this will allow students to know exactly what to expect.

• #28379 Reply
        Roxie Carroll

Absolutely! I couldn’t imagine myself personally trying to grade any type of writing without a rubric. It does clarify the expectations.

• #28544 Reply
        Brianna Gillis

Peggy, I have had positive experiences using rubrics with adult learners also.  I have used them for scoring RLA extended responses and class projects.  I have not used them for scoring discussion boards, but I plan to begin.  Thanks for the idea.

• #28662 Reply
        Zina Matthews-Holmes

I anticipate that when I begin teaching writing/language arts, I will use the rubric to clarify the expectations, lower their worries when producing the final assignment.  I’ll also try not to “grade their work”, however, I want to focus on what their strengths are and build from there.

• #28974 Reply
        Annette Merier

I have used rubrics in the past.  I found that the younger students had heard of them and had even used them in the past.   I think that the students responded positively.  In order to use rubrics more effectively, I need to learn more about rubrics.  I also need to use them more often to get more practice.

• #28995 Reply
        Zina Matthews-Holmes

First, I want to be back in the class when use a rubric.  It’s so much easier to explain in person.  I anticipate finding a very simple rubric that coincides with my writing assignments for articles they’ve read.  Hopefully this will begin to encourage them to carefully think before they write.. hopefully.  I’ve been told my expectations are a bit high…(I feel they won’t learn if I don’t set the bar just a tad above them).

• #28306 Reply
      Sophia Azhar

I have not used a rubric while teaching, but I think it is a great idea to start using it.  I teach GED R/L and I could use it to score the extended response.  Most students have difficulties writing the essay, but having a rubric can help them improve their writing if they have a rubric with the criterion, scale and expectations for the criterion.  Of course, I will have to explain the criterion, scale and the expectations in detail to the students before using the rubric.

• #28317 Reply
        Peggy Wilson

Sophia, using a rubric for the extended response is a great idea! Hope it works well for you and your students.

• #28478 Reply
          Jackie Roach

I have not used them with adult ed. before either. I think I may use them with the discussion board.

• #28483 Reply
            Paula

Great idea, Jackie to use it on the discussion board or even as a poll.

• #28504 Reply
              Joan Duffie

I hope you can use the Rubrics in the near future

• #28378 Reply
        Roxie Carroll

Sophia, you can find a lot of rubrics available for the GED written essay online. You might need to modify them a bit for your class, but there are definitely a lot out there. Just do a search.

• #28387 Reply
        Laura Sanabria

I can share your enthusiasm Sophia, but I am still trying to wrap my head about explaining the criterion to students that don’t have the language to understand. I am willing to try, but I need to explore very simple versions of this tool.

• #28543 Reply
        Brianna Gillis

Sophia,  I have used rubrics to score RLA extended responses and it works great.  My students enjoy knowing what is expected of them and why they receive the scores they receive.  When students know the scales, criterion, descriptors, and what is expected of them, they can understand the rubric more.

• #28600 Reply
        Sara Mercer

I think I’ll start using one for the extended response also.  I hadn’t thought about it before, but it would be very helpful for them.  I tell them what should be included, but a rubric by their side while they are writing would be very helpful.

• #28377 Reply
      Roxie Carroll

I use rubrics to score writing. However, I use the ones that are already made. It does help to clarify to both the student and me the expectations of the assignment.

• #28484 Reply
        Paula

Good idea, Roxie.  No reason to re-invent the wheel if there are so many available.  I can see where it would really clarify to the student what is expected.

• #28385 Reply
      Laura Sanabria

I have used rubrics for testing and grading written material. I have never created one of my own and really I have used rubrics for testing and grading written material. I have never created one of my own and really find helpful the idea of looking for rubrics ready made and tweaking to users’ needs.
      I have never used this as a student self-evaluation tool. The thought of taking the time to try to explain this to an ESL students and asking them to self-evaluate is a little daunting.
      find helpful the idea of looking for rubrics ready made and tweaking to users’ needs.
      I have never used this as a student self-evaluation tool. The thought of taking the time to try to explain this to an ESL students and asking them to self-evaluate is a little daunting.

• #28386 Reply
      Laura Sanabria

Sorry about the repeated sentences. I was having trouble with the reply box. The text was not showing up on screen. Here is the text….

I have used rubrics for testing and grading written material. I have never created one of my own and really find helpful the idea of looking for rubrics ready made and tweaking to users’ needs.

I have never used this as a student self-evaluation tool. The thought of taking the time to try to explain this to a ESL students and asking them to self-evaluate is a little daunting.

• #28569 Reply
        Mary Baxter

I also work with ESL students and agree that explaining a rubric to them could be difficult. I think it would be useful to adapt the language of the rubric to the level of the student and have some short activities that help students understand the purpose of a rubric.

• #28482 Reply
      Paula

I know some of our instructors use the TCSG rubric and some use rubrics for grading.  After reading the comments  and taking session 4,  I will have to encourage more of them to try them in their everyday or weekly instruction.

• #28497 Reply
      Roxie Carroll

I have completed this discussion forum assignment, one response to original and two responses to peers, but it’s not showing a completion in the Player Progress. This response post is to see if I can generate a completion.

• #28542 Reply
      Brianna Gillis

I have used rubrics to evaluate and score extended responses for RLA and for scoring projects.  I have used rubrics that were already created and modified them when needed for my adult learners and classroom.  I have not created one myself.  I have always had a positive experience and feedback when I explained rubrics to my adult learners including the criterion, the scales, and the descriptors of each.  My adult learners knew what was expected of them and why they received the score they did.  I want to expand my ways of using rubrics and become more efficient when using them.

• #28568 Reply
        Mary Baxter

I like how you have already incorporated rubrics in your classroom and have worked to engage learners in the process. It is so important for learners to understand a rubric.

• #28601 Reply
        Sara Mercer

It hasn’t occurred to me to look for an extended response rubric online.  I will get on that ASAP.

• #28567 Reply
      Mary Baxter

I have not used rubrics in my classroom before. Now I am a program administrator and do not have the opportunity to try using a rubric. I have begun, however, familiarizing our instructors with the rubric and plan to help them implement it in their classrooms.

• #28599 Reply
      Sara Mercer

It has been a while since I used a rubric. When I did, it was a great way to show the students what I expect of them. I could use one for the writing portion of the RLA but honestly hadn’t thought about it. That is something I definitely need to work on.

• #28976 Reply
        Annette Merier

I agree.  I think that a rubric would be a very useful tool to use for the RLA response.  It would allow the students to know what is expected.

• #28980 Reply
      Annette Merier

<div class=”loop-item–1 user-id-0 bbp-parent-forum-21882 bbp-parent-topic-27852 bbp-reply-position-34 even post-28974 reply type-reply status-publish hentry”>
      <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>I have used rubrics in the past.  I found that some students had heard of them and had even used them in the past.   I think that the students responded positively.  In order to use rubrics more effectively, I need to learn more about rubrics.  I also need to use them more often to get more practice.</p>

</div>
      </div>

Viewing 11 reply threads
Reply To: Discussion Question 1: Initial Post from Pierre
Your information:

Skip to toolbar