Course 3 Discussion Question #2

• This topic has 13 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated by .
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Katie Holloway
      Keymaster

Choose ONE option and respond. 

Option A 

Review the ARENA acronym for communication.  The ARENA acronym provide structure to the different types of asynchronous support (cognitive, psychological, and social) messages that learners need as they navigate an asynchronous learning path.

How can the ARENA acronym help you provide consistent asynchronous support to learners needs as they navigate their asynchronous learning path?

Option B

Review the ARENA Decision Tree.  The Decision Tree provides a sequence for choosing an asynchronous support message’s purpose, vehicle, and multi-sensory medium. How do you currently make decisions about the type of asynchronous support communication you provide?  How does this decision tree compare to your decision-making process? How can the decision tree help you as you plan asynchronous support?

• #28550 Reply
      Dinorah Lorenzana

I would say most of my decisions are based according to the vehicle for delivery because reaching students in the area where we work can be difficult, most students do not have a computer, so they usually have a phone, but internet it is another issue. So I understand the vehicle for delivery should be last step, but in my context it’s usually the first, and they go to the time the message would be send, it would have to be during noon or afternoon, messages can not be long, it has to be short and direct. Many students would prefer audio messages or videos.

• #28554 Reply
        Velida

Hi Dinorah, I agree, the vehicle of communication does play significant role in decision-making tree, and very often it is chosen much earlier than suggested in the content for this Discussion Question. In my case, the vehicle is often pre-determined, i.e. vehicle for asynchronous portion of learning and all communication is a private channel on Teams. Since audience for our learning courses are our staff, we rarely resort to other communication means such as social media or WhatsApp since this may go into the “private”/off-work time.

Great points, thank you!

• #28641 Reply
        Michelle Marland

I really like your idea of a video message! This would take some time but I think very rewarding for everyone!

Michelle

• #28553 Reply
      Velida

Thanks for the interesting discussion questions.

To me ARENA helps remembering different types of needs learners may have (cognitive, psychological and social) in asynchronous portion of the course and that all are critical for learning to take place. I think I have been mostly focused on cognitive, to some degree psychological, but so far I have neglected social needs.

I have often made decisions about communication in a more ad hoc manner, without systematic decision-making process. E.g. if I notice that learners are struggling or I know the topic is very new to them, then I am more prominent in offering support or reviewing the content and encouraging. I am also more diligent in terms of sharing news or next steps, but again, I don’t think I applied any systematic decision making to how I chose what to share. The decision tree is really helpful to make asynchronous portion of the learning pathway more structured and consistent.

• #28642 Reply
        Michelle Marland

Hi Velida,

You raise some good points. My last session, my first sprint lesson was a review which I think was good as time between our engagement due to Christmas was long.

I often have been guilty of trying to cram too much in the time frame and not give time for small things like hello’s and introductions and creating that welcoming environment.

Michelle

• #28691 Reply
          Velida

Hi Michelle, I hear you! I too do not budget enough time for these non-content sessions that now I see are really a foundation for social aspect of learning.

Thank you

• #28770 Reply
        Michelle Candy

Hi Velida,

I like your mention of the students’ social needs. I recently spent 8 hours in zoom training, and the social aspect of meeting together in the small rooms was essential.

Michelle

• #28640 Reply
      Michelle Marland

Using the Arena decision tree is really helpful as I am often communicating with people in latin America as well as the Philippines and everywhere in between. As Africa usually only does half-days on Friday for example, I know that I need to send a message out Thursday evening. This way those in Latin America may still get the message and those in Africa or Asia will have it in their inbox to read first thing in the morning. We have a teams folder for resources but there hasn’t been a lot of posts or discussion in this forum that I would love to see more of. A recent survey I did, helped me realize that newer learners didn’t know the various places to go to for resources (teams site, yammer and our intranet) and was only relying on email communications. Having some job aids and review this type of information and where to find it will be key for those joining our Community of Practice.

• #28684 Reply
        Melissa J Kreek

I agree Michelle, Our organization is still new to Teams, and most of us are connected to several different teams so there is a lot of “noise” where we still (or I still) use email as a way to notify members of important events/postings.  I think if I were to systematize use of the community of practice, for instance, posting a few independent readings or discussion questions on the 1st of the month, this could be encourage more regular use.

• #28692 Reply
        Velida

Hi Michelle,

I absolutely agree with you! I sometimes think we have way too many vehicles to use for communication and then in the absence of knowing which one is the most effective, we resort to good old email. I also think our communication is often “heavy”, it is rarely directed to foster sense of community and belonging. Good learning coming through this course to change it:)

Thank you

• #28772 Reply
        Michelle Candy

Michelle–I like your idea of getting people used to working with your intranet and Teams. We’ve been using Teams for about a year and it has great features, but you have to be intentional about training and learning how to use it fully. And I don’t know how your intranet is, but ours is a mess and hard to navigate. So including instructions on how to use them to access the information needed sounds like a great use of asynchronous instruction. 🙂

• #28685 Reply
      Melissa J Kreek

The ARENA methodology was really helpful for me to think through how to use time with colleagues. In addition to group meetings each quarter through a community of practice, which focus on technical learning, we typically have monthly coordination calls, which provide a natural opportunity for more social/emotional support, encouragement and motivation. I will plan to use these sessions more intentionally to check in on their needs (cognitive, psychological and social) and support as I can to connect with resources.

• #28771 Reply
      Michelle Candy

I appreciated learning about the arena framework, but as I don’t currently have an asynchronous portion of my classes, I don’t have a way to incorporate it.

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: Course 3 Discussion Question #2
Your information:

Skip to toolbar