Course 3 Discussion Question #2

• This topic has 39 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated by .
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Katie Holloway
      Keymaster

Choose ONE option and respond. 

Option A 

Review the ARENA acronym for communication.  The ARENA acronym provide structure to the different types of asynchronous support (cognitive, psychological, and social) messages that learners need as they navigate an asynchronous learning path.

How can the ARENA acronym help you provide consistent asynchronous support to learners needs as they navigate their asynchronous learning path?

Option B

Review the ARENA Decision Tree.  The Decision Tree provides a sequence for choosing an asynchronous support message’s purpose, vehicle, and multi-sensory medium. How do you currently make decisions about the type of asynchronous support communication you provide?  How does this decision tree compare to your decision-making process? How can the decision tree help you as you plan asynchronous support?

Peggy Wilson

I can provide content with a sequence of assignments that provide my Asking , Reviewing, Encouraging, providing Next steps, and Acknowledging students as part of our community.

Sophia Azhar

Yes Peggy, you are correct. We can use ARENA to really help our students.

Jackie Roach

I completely agree, Peggy.

Joan l Duffie

Yes, students will feel a part of the program!

Roxie Carroll

Spot on, Peggy. I also think that I should vary the sequence a bit based upon the needs of my students.

Joan l Duffie

Option A: Using the ARENA acronym I can better help my students and their can reach their life and educational goals.

Zina Matthews-Holmes

I, too, agree with varying the sequence to accommodate the needs of all learners…I have many students who’ve never been identified as having a learning disability.

Zina Matthews-Holmes

Using the ARENA method, can be very helpful in keeping my students actively engaged.  It allows both students and I to Ask questions by engage in 2 way dialogue, Reviewing all content continuously by rotating their knowledge base and helping them to retain it, constantly Encouraging them stay motivated and providing them with the Next sequence of steps, so they know what is going to happen and my expectations for those next steps, and lastly Acknowledging all students as part of our online community.

Sylvie Archer

Review the ARENA Decision Tree.  The Decision Tree provides a sequence for choosing an asynchronous support message’s purpose, vehicle, and multi-sensory medium. How do you currently make decisions about the type of asynchronous support communication you provide?  How does this decision tree compare to your decision-making process? How can the decision tree help you as you plan asynchronous support?

I haven’t engaged the asynchronous portion of Blackboard since our students do not yet have access to their accounts. Therefore, I am unable to properly answer this question. However, I use Remind to send students assignments and reminders to complete and review prior to classes. Then we review the responses collectively. I employ every step of ARENA in my communication with my students. Remind in conjunction with the live sessions help to reassure students that we are a family unit and should operate as such.

Sylvie Archer

I agree with you. It’s a constant dance until we all flow with the progress.

Sara Mercer

Using Remind is a good idea to get them to log on and do some work.  I have several that just attend the live sessions and do very little else.

Sophia Azhar

Students sometimes feel alone in the asynchronous learning environment.  Using the ARENA acronym consistently, can be helpful in keeping the learners engaged.  It keeps them motivated and pushes them to achieve.

Roxie Carroll

I so agree, Sophia. I am currently only teaching synchronous classes, bu without the A (Ask) and the E (Encouragment), I don’t think my students would be able to handle asynchronous learning at all.

Jackie Roach

I completely agree, Sophia. It lets our students know that we genuinely care about their success and progress.

Zina Matthews-Holmes

Indeed, many students do and will drop out if they have even feel the slightest bit of trepidation in their return to the classroom, let alone attending school in an online environment.

Joan l Duffie

Yes I agree, especially the low learners, they sometimes need a lot of moral support.

Sylvie Archer

Promoting that sense of community is key in the quest to achieve their goals. It fosters friendships, sometimes lifelong, especially when they realize that there are others who share the same or similar paths as they.

Sara Mercer

I agree.  I need to work on the community aspect.  It is there with students in the building, but I don’t focus enough on it for the virtual classes.

Laura Sanabria

Sophia,

You hit the nail on the head! I am beginning to use this even though I only have synchronous teaching going on. The out of classroom contact allows me extra time to interact in a non-academic moment. I really hadn’t tried doing this before because I thought it would take up too much time, but making it part of the calendar week turns it into routine. And students do respond.

Mary Baxter

Good point. Turning this into a routine will make it easier for both the teacher and the students and will provide normed opportunities for engagement.

Brianna Gillis

I agree Sophia.  ARENA is a great tool to use to keep learners engaged and motivated.

Philandria Williams

Yes, they often feel isolated!

Annette Merier

I agree most students do feel isolated and this method does help them feel more connected.  Most students want to feel like they are part of a community.

Roxie Carroll

How can the ARENA acronym help you provide consistent asynchronous support to learners needs as they navigate their asynchronous learning path?

I haven’t engaged in asynchronous learning yet, with the exception of a few additional responses that require the students to e-mail me an application of material taught in class. However, I do see the benefit of using the ARENA acronym to remind me of the encouragement and motivation needed for the students’ success, especially A (Ask) and E (Encourage).

Philandria Williams

Yes, ask and encourage for sure!

Laura Sanabria

The acronym provides the reminder to do these comprehension checks and attempts to give a structure to our teaching approach that converts these steps in automatic tasks for teacher and responses for students. I do ASK in class – Are there any questions? but nobody speaks out. I think that the vehicle for asking this question and possible getting a response is key. By posing questions in a separate moment, students may have time to reflect and in their own time ask the questions that might be unanswered.

Mary Baxter

I like your observation about posing questions in a separate moment. It would be especially helpful for those students who need processing time.

Ericka Reid

That is a great example. I try not to ask “are there any questions” but rather “what questions do you have for me”. This change in wording has helped a great deal because it allows the students to think first or at the very least feel like they do not have to have an immediate answer, but can ask a question later on.

Annette Merier

I like your insight.  I agree that asking questions in a separate part of the lesson may help some students to ask more questions.

Jackie Roach

The ARENA communication tool is a great way to provide support for my students because it allows me to check in on my students to see if they need any help or assistance with skills they may be struggling with. I do this on a consistent basis via email, Collaborate sessions, and emails. Every now and then, my students will ask that I call them and I will communicate with them that way. I frequently review content with my students when they feel they have “hit a wall” with a skill. Many of the tests/quizzes my students take on Blackboard require that I grade them, and when my students do well, I send them an email congratulating them. When they do poorly, I send them an email asking if they need me to do a virtual lesson with them. I think this ARENA communication tool is a great way to stay involved with the students and it lets the students know the instructor is actually invested in their learning.

Brianna Gillis

I agree Jackie.  ARENA is a great tool for asynchronous learning by interacting with the students and building a sense of community.

Sophia Azhar

Agreed! ARENA seems to be a great tool to stay in touch with the students.

Mary Baxter

I am not currently teaching, but I can see how the ARENA method would help support students during the asynchronous component of learning. It provides a structure of options for teachers to choose from to engage students in a meaningful way. It also provides a way to engage all students because it addresses a variety of potential needs that differ from student to student.

Ericka Reid

I agree. My students have completely different needs: some want to have live class sessions, others want to just do their work without having to worry about joining the virtual class. This allows the students to stay engaged even if they initially did not want to join the live class session.

Brianna Gillis

ARENA can help me provide consistent asynchronous support to learners by reminding me to ask if they need help, reviewing content, encouraging and motivating them, discussing next steps/news, and acknowledging community.  I do this by email, Blackboard Collaborate sessions, and through phone communication.

Philandria Williams

ARENA is beneficial because it encourages Asking , Reviewing, Encouraging, providing Next steps, and Acknowledging. These are all useful for students as they navigate through the learning process. Also…acronyms are always great for bad memories!

Ericka Reid

ARENA allows the instructor to make sure that the class continues to have structure and encourage the students. For my class, the next steps have helped my students know exactly what they need to do by the next class period. This makes it so that they are not confused or trying to do all of the work over the weekend.

Annette Merier

Currently, support is one area that I am working to improve. Before this course, I would answer questions as the students would email or message them to me and I would just send emails to all the students, groups of students, or individual students. After this course, I see many ways that I can improve this. The decision tree is something that I plan to use daily. It helps me to decide what message, pathway, and vehicle of delivery. I really had not even thought of all the types of messages that I could send. Mostly we have been using phone, text, Facebook messenger, and email. I plan to add in video messages.

Sara Mercer

ARENA helps me focus my feedback. Sometimes I just get bogged down in, “You understand” and moving on. ARENA helps me remember every step I need to take to keep students engaged and on the learning path. IT is good to review and important to highlight the next steps. Many of my students log into collaborate and that is it all day.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar