Course 3 Discussion Question #2

• This topic has 17 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated by .
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Clerico
      Keymaster
      • Describe reluctant and resistant behaviors that you have experienced in service projects.
      • Which types of resistant behaviors have you encountered?
      • How can you use the Escalation of  Resistant behavior Tool to  help you plan for and proactively manage reluctant or resistant behavior to service learning projects?
      KuLena R. Burton

The Dominant Reluctant and Resistant Behaviors that I have encountered to date are:

1.) Loitering Reluctance -individual is  present but disengaged, because they’ve been urged by a custodian or caregiver to inquire about YB AmeriCorps, or they are accustomed to processs that engage rote memory and need to increase critical thinking, sometimes they’re in the frozen state of fight, flight or freeze, at other apathy is engaged because the belief is that is expected.

In this instance, I immediately begin building connection,  to restore voice  to the potential member/student with a quick exchange like so,

KB: Whose here with you today? or  Who is on the Phone With You?

YB Student: My ______. (Mom, Dad, Grandma Aunt etc.)

KB: Does Your ________ have a full name? What is it?

YB: Yes ____________, it is _________

KB:  Name, I am so glad that you are on this call with us today, we need your support. Right now I need to connect with YB member.  YB member please repeat after me,

Parent/Guardian _____________This sounds like it might be something that I need to explore. Can We set up an appointment to meet with KB?

And the process continues in the manner.

When this is noticed amidst a project, I call time-outs to reflect and re-center.

2.) Active Resistance-Victim Blaming – was engaged in a meeting with a previous member who was on-site for a different purpose, but wanted to connect with the “New YouthBuild AmeriCorps Lady” to inquire about completion or re-entering service, after suspension. The tactic was used as an attempt to build similarity or a bridge. This became a teachable moment, as I learned about her program experiences,  and paaterns in leadership; and she learned that true leaders don’t discount the potential of others, downplay their intellect or misuse power.

I can use this tool to remain abreast of nuances, triggers and the way they members may or may not be processing information to ensure a healthy, balanced and equitable experience for all.

Sherrie Kirbach

Thanks for the specific examples !!!

Candace Copenhaver

Wow! This was a great example!

Candace Copenhaver

The only resistance I have experienced is that it seems the same students are always absent on the days we are working on or presenting a project.

I have not come across a good solution for this. I was hoping to get some ideas here.

Virginia Hamilton

I agree periods of absence for members is a major issue at our site as well!

Alexandra Blockton

-Describe reluctant and resistant behaviors that you have experienced in service projects: For example, a member may feel its something they have to do because someone else in their life. Such as, a guardian initiating them to join and be apart of YouthBuild AmeriCorps and they more than likely will feel as if its something they have to do. Which can cause them to become disengaged with being apart of the service project. However, I have not had the chance to experience this issue with a member. But I am glad to be apart of this discussion thread to learn possible techniques in helping to assist members in being active mentally and physically.

-How can you use the Escalation of Resistant behavior Tool to help you plan for and proactively manage reluctant or resistant behavior to service learning projects?  I can take action by simply utilizing the actual steps of the Escalation of Resistant behavior Tool to keep members motivated in being apart of the service project willingly, so they won’t feel as if its something they have to do. Instead they will feel positive in knowing they are making a difference within their very own communities.

Alexandra Blockton

KuLena,

Your response is very detailed and informative to utilize within service projects on keeping members engaged!

Alexandra

Sherrie Kirbach

Yes. Make them feel more ownership and the ability to face down what might be holding them back from having impactful experience!

Sherrie Kirbach

Before engaging in course 2 and 3 – The initial response to the total resistance was to send the member home for the day. This would happen because we did not have the Mockingbird tools! I can see how doing the reflection before during and after a project will help in better management of the members emotions. Just being able to recognize the different level of resistance will aid tremendously. I have had members who are in the  resistance level of enthusiasm prior to the project, just not show up for the project. They have promised to carry out their part of the team assignment – then let the team down by being a no show. I believe with the new tools we will have not only more meaningful projects but more engagement. I think that regardless of the level of resistance it will be a power tool to go through all of the levels with the members providing solutions. Each service project is different and can affect the individual members differently at different times. Being proactive should help with more engagement. Also, by going through the steps of resistance and solutions will improve our project leaders ability to handle the tool better! Practice make almost perfect!!!

Candace Copenhaver

Sherry, that was our response on many occasions as well. I question it though. What is it teaching the student? Should we not take advantage of these teachable moments?

Amber Palmeri

I agree with this, Sherry. We’d also ask members to leave if they would not participate. And we also dealt with low attendance on service projects. I think having the tools, and in particular, the ideas for reflection that span the entirety of the project from implementation to debrief will really improve engagement on projects.

Zanda Miller

Yes, same here. The least little bit of resistance and staff wants to send them home as opposed to process the behaviors and engage in conversation. If we process on the front end, there should be lest resistance.

Virginia Hamilton

Well said! No more sending home the disengaged. Such a teachable moment that often goes wasted due to staff frustration. I am excited to implement new strategies.

Zanda Miller

I notice either full engagement or loitering/reluctance. I go to the student and try to engage in small talk and encourage them to jump in. I work beside them and engage in small talk.

Virginia Hamilton

Even though I have been with YouthBuild less than a year I have seen most of the resistant behaviors listed in the escalation lesson. The best approach I would say would be to try to engage with the learner while they are at a lower level so the situation doesn’t escalate. Catching early warning signs like loitering would be beneficial because it is easier then having the member be absent and hard to get a hold of or when they have reached a higher level of trauma called anger. REFLECTING BEFORE DURING AND AFTER IS KEY!  Loved learning about this trauma informed approach. Thanks MockingBird!

Amber Palmeri

This is a great tip, Virginia–engaging them on a lower level of resistance before things escalate is super important. I also think this is a great reminder of the importance of ensuring there is voice and choice when it comes to the project planning. Hopefully this will decrease the resistance behaviors in the first place.

Amber Palmeri

On secondary service projects, I primarily see Loitering Reluctance. This often shows up as members being on their phone, multiple bathroom breaks, and finding other reasons to not engage with the activity…all reason which technically could be legit, but in total tell me that the person is just not engaged. I’ve seen some of the higher levels at our primary service site where I think members (construction in particular) tend to be a more removed from the primary beneficiaries. I also see higher resistance levels in other classes, such as high school equivalency, where members feel more insecure and unsure of themselves.

I really think utilizing reflection before, during, and after primary and secondary service projects are the best ways to keep member actively engaged. Additionally, ensuring members are actively involved in the project planning will help as well (voice and choice), so there is more buy in.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar