Course 3 Discussion Question #1

• This topic has 32 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated by .
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Katie Holloway
      Keymaster
      This DQ has three parts:
      1. Which category of synchronous interaction strategies* do you want to engage more deeply in your practice?
      2. What challenges do you anticipate from students?
      3. How can the safe path help you overcome student reluctance and apathy?
      *category examples include  long response, short response, MAC, or invisible

Part C: Interaction with Community
      • Respond to at least two of your peers.

Posting Instructions:
      Hit reply to this thread to post your initial response. Do not start a new topic. Only start a new topic when you are starting a new thread of conversation.
      Velida

*Please note it is impossible to hit reply, the letters are white, hence I am starting a thread*

1. I think it would be interesting to try MAC. More specifically I would like to use more state change, music (and combination of the two) and then speak out loud.

2. I foresee potential challenges the first time we do it i.e. I don’t want to look stupid type of challenge.

3. Safe path formula can help overcome challenges by helping identify desired behavior, then breaking it up into small requests, starting with trivial request that participants will almost automatically do, explaining WHY behind the request and then recognizing and phrasing desired behavior. In my specific case, i.e. for speak out loud, I plan to play the music in the background and ask participants to repeat key learning/message in their own words, explaining that by doing this we start owning the knowledge (the WHY behind speak out loud). I think this would be a trivial request especially if at the beginning I ask them to keep mics on mute. The next time they could unmute but the music can still be on. I hope this would help with the challenges and make sessions more fun and engaging thus reducing the apathy and reluctance.

Emily Lloyd

Great plan and I agree that there might be a few areas to work out.

Michelle Marland

Hi Velida,

I like your idea of the first time they unmute there is music so that there is a slow transition and ease and its not dead quiet. I will have to try this technique as getting them to talk out loud is also a challenge for me.

Michelle

Dominique

Hi Katie, the other strategy that I’d like to try, which I don’t see mentioned yet, is the long response interactions with participants showing or sending what they wrote.  I’m still not sure about that part (how to have them share in a timely manner if not using video); but I see this as key to promote full participation (rather than passively repeating what others have written or simply waiting out).  We often do (anonymous) polls and ask questions in chat, but some participants remain passive.  One option may be to have polls not immediately show results (need to check if technology allows this), so that more passive participants are not influenced by other responses… But I want to try out the strategy of having everyone write or draw on piece of paper and send a pic.

Melissa J Kreek

Given some learners may be connecting through their cell phones with poor internet, I see the most potential for instant response options, like abbreviated response, polling, wheel of names (love this), and unmute and out loud. I also think that the MAC strategies will help, especially music, chat and state change. I think most of these are low risk strategies, so I don’t anticipate many challenges in getting participation, but like Velida, think explaining why we are using them and modeling them myself will help with adoption.

Andres Bucaro

I agree with your response Melissa. Even I am thinking in promote the use of cell phones to take the class and take advantage of the possility of movilization. It could be great.

Ariel Espinoza

Those ones are really good, the best part of these strategies is that they are easy to implement and our students can feel our sessions more friendly.

RAMANANJOHANY Veroniaina

Agree with you .

Emily Lloyd

Another problem with response is that those that use alternative methods stand a higher chance of loosing connection. Most of my students live in rural areas and the have to sign in numerous times.

Andres Bucaro

Completely true, I have seen that students don´t want to use the camera because it results commonly in the lost of connection. Maybe the use of invisible interaction could help.

Dinorah Lorenzana

Agree, in my case students do not have internet and they use daily internet packages so it’s difficult for them to put on their camaras.

Melissa J Kreek

Yes, I’ve tried in the last couple weeks to use video just during the introductions at the beginning of the call to help participants put faces to voices, then switch them off.  So far so good!

Dominique

Hi Melissa, I really like the idea of having videos on at start of meeting.  I had been thinking of doing the same — we often pretend we have low bandwidth as an excuse to do so, but it’s so helpful to see faces to promote informal chit chat and build community.  Especially during this pandemic, re-building sense of community is super important.

Velida

Hi Emily, I fully agree that some of the strategies may be hard to implement in poor connectivity environment. We even had challenges with polls as they don’t show up for some participants – I am guessing due to poor internet. In those cases we often allow voting in the chat. We also have participants posting comments after the particular sprint is over. Then they apologize that the comment is really sent much earlier but showed up for others in an awkward moment, after the discussion was over. Not easy to do online learning with poor connectivity!

Thank you

Michelle Marland

Agreed, the practice of the facilitator and having that confidence even when trying new things is important as we can’t expect our learners to do so if we can’t model the behavior ourselves!

Best of luck Melissa!

Andres Bucaro

Response:

Andres Bucaro

I want to reinforce the use of instant responses, that is becuase I feel that  my public or students are not so familiarized with these kind of interaction. Even, it could be perceived as something a little bit informal or not so serius. I thik this will be my challenge, to demonstrate them, with purpose, how these kind of interactions can help them to learn. I thin, that the use of the safe path, identifiying the most acceptable interaction as the target behavior (maybe coral responses, for instance), giving them small and logical instructions to achieve it, and expressing the purpose of the interaction is going to help to achieve the instant interation along the session.

Michelle Candy

Hello Andres,

I agree that the instant responses seem kind of informal and could be a way to get your learners started. Explaining why you’re doing it will help them to engage with these elements.

It seems to me that you’re afraid they won’t engage because they think it’s too trivial. I think maybe they will engage because it is such a trivial request. However, I don’t know your cultural context, and maybe it will take some persuasion to encourage your students to participate.

Emily Lloyd

I use music in my presentation of the lesson already, but I would like to have more social interaction. I think that I will use breakout rooms more often. The potential problems I see are getting everyone on board and to participate.

Michelle Candy

Hi Emily,

How do you use music? I’m trying to think how to use it–probably at beginning and ending, maybe at transitions. It’s challenging because music annoys me, personally, when I’m trying to think, so my personal bias is not to use it. Do your students respond to it positively?

Ariel Espinoza

I would like to use MAC Strategy since this one meets small methods to aproach to our students in a dynamic way, we can implement them to motive and create a state of belonging and support their needs without losing the interest and motivation.

The challenge is to keep our students interested, this instrument helps us to create a atmosphere where students can feel more confortable and motivated.

To have a safe way we must define pur objectives and give small steps, identify the strenghs and weekness, reinforce behavior.

Ariel Espinoza

Music is a good resource to get our students motived, this is a way to make something different and make students feel better.

Michelle Candy

1. I think MAC makes the most sense in my situation, since my learners are not on their own devices or their own zoom account. Having them speak out loud is important so that they can hear their own voices and drown out their self-doubt voices. Music, I’m iffy on. Music annoys me when I’m trying to concentrate on something, so I don’t think I’ll do music during periods of individual work. Music to start and stop and transition? Maybe. State changes—essential.
      2. Getting students to open their mouths and use their voices is always a challenge with my students. Because we already have a culture of inclusion and involvement, this won’t be more of a challenge than it is already. State changes—once they sit, they want to stay sitting. I see physical state changes as being beneficial, but I think it will take a little encouragement.
      3. The safe path will help because I can start one step at a time and allow both myself and my learners to get used to the change (they’re not the only ones resistant to change, haha).

Velida

Hi Michelle,

“once they sit, they want to stay sitting” 🙂 resonates so well with me! I have seen this happening with face-to-face too with people very reluctantly getting up, sorting out their clothes or whatever. And then using every chance they get to sit back again! So funny! I think it will take some time and explaining “why” till it becomes a habit.

Thank you!

Melissa J Kreek

Yes!  Those learners who are more introverted may always prefer options to engage that feel lower risk.

Dinorah Lorenzana

Going for MAC too!

Esther Kauffman

Yes, it’s not easy for the participants or for the facilitators. I often worry that my slides will be delayed or I’ll lose connection.

Esther Kauffman

Oops- I meant to post this comment as a reply to Emily’s comment on the issues with poor internet connectivity.

Dinorah Lorenzana

I would like to try the invisible interaction and try state change. I think I need to help students to move mor, I guess I’m a bit lazy myself and I need to change this aspect tokeep students in an active an attentive state.
      Also I would like to try MAC interactions, specially music. I haven’t done it before, so I’d like to try.

Esther Kauffman

I totally agree with the above comments and love the idea of incorporating more instant response options, like speak out loud, polling, wheel of names, etc. It’s also been powerful to see how much music and state changes have helped keep my energy up  during live sessions so I want to include that. I don’t think there would be a lot of push back on any of these but I could introduce one response option at a time and make sure that I explain why we’re doing them.

Michelle Marland

The category I am most interested in incorporating in my online learning sessions is instant response. I think these small and trivial requests will go a long way to keep engagement. In particular, I know that polling responses are a favorite among the students. The challenge I see is more with the questions with a range and as said in a previous post the mute and unmute. With the type of learning I do online, the long response method wouldn’t apply at all. I think the safe pathway can help by explaining the why (purpose not power), keep the sessions different from other learning structures with music or other state changes and get them to say things in their own words.

Dominique

Hi Esther, I like the thread about use of music. I am wondering whether this may help on the state change too — easier to move to music.  Though i definitely anticipate a (perceived?) “cultural appropriateness” challenge – some participants will love it and some will hate it.  Age (and gender) definitely play a role, and I would want to try it out in some countries before others.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar