Course 3 Discussion Question

• This topic has 16 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated by .
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Clerico
      Keymaster
      • Review the Quality Indicators of Service Learning for Learning, Service, and Project Planning and Execution.
        • Identify a law (quality indicator) in each of the categories that you want to improve upon in your next service learning project.
        • Describe each law that you identified and how your focus on the law will improve the quality of your next service learning project.
      Alexandra Blockton

I have chosen Law of 5 steps (IPARD Participation) Project follows the IPARD process (Investigation, Planning, Action, Reflection, and Demonstration.)

-Law of Leadership voice and choice:  within utilizing this law in my YouthBuild program will give YouthBuild AmeriCorps Members the opportunity to voice their feedback on our next service project. It will be a Community Clean-Up Project! Prior to starting the service project we will all analyze the areas in which we will be cleaning, in the midst of the service project we will get photos taken and discuss the service project. Afterwards, I will have YouthBuild AmeriCorps Members complete a questionnaire to voice their opinions of the overall completion of the service project. During that time I will also have YouthBuild AmeriCorps present any questions or concerns that will be helpful for our next service project!

Sherrie Kirbach

I feel this is very important also!

Amber Palmeri

I agree with the importance of the law of leadership: voice and choice. It think it will lead to so much more buy in from members, especially when we can say, this is something you chose to focus us, how can we work together to create a successful project.

Kind of unrelated, but I also just used the law of voice and choice with my 7 year old who all the sudden found herself with a remote class cancelled. The teacher gave her options to work on during that time….and I was able to successfully fend off her idea to watch a show instead when she had a list of 3-4 math activities she could choose from.  ha! 🙂

Latonya Hudson McGee

I chose to identify with the Law of Leadership where each person have a voice and should be given the opportunity to give input, insight, and suggestions. Incorporating their ideas and thoughts into the service learning project makes the project more personal and meaningful. Each one will be proud to have assisted in the project.

Latonya McGee

I love the idea of voice and choice too.

Latonya McGee

I love the idea of voice and choice too as it promotes group cohesion.

Candace Copenhaver

Law of equal Importance

I chose this law because I think it’s easy to get wrapped up in the process of a project and forget that student’s are actually learning.

To achieve this, I will implement the Reflection tool before, during and after the project.

Virginia Hamilton

This is something I am also trying to actively work on!

Sherrie Kirbach

Quality of Service. The Law of Meaningful Service. It has really struck a chord with me. The future service within my program needs to connect more with our members. By using the tools that I have learned about in course 2 and application in course 3 I feel that we will be able to make our service learning thick. There are soooo many different ways to approach a service project that it is hard to sort it out . I will need to have the quality indicators printed out in front of me and go through a project with the student ambassador team and really talk each step through with them to be comfortable in delivering / explaining the difference in what we have done to what we will be doing. I think once I can show the staff how much more impactful service can be they will get on board with the amount of time needed. Also, hoping to be able to show them the big picture of how using what has been learned will have a major impact on the quality of programing and improve retention / recruitment.

Amber Palmeri

Sherrie, I think your point about showing staff the big picture of how using what we’ve learned will make a huge impact on quality of programming, recruitment, retention, completion, etc. is spot on. I also like your ideas of a student ambassador team. Do you have more info to share on that?  What do they do? How are they chosen?

Amber Palmeri

(Quality of Learning) Law to focus on: Law of meaningful reflection

• As I’ve been reflecting myself, I really think that this piece is so critical. We are great a the post-project reflection, but we do not usually to the reflection before or during projects. Reflection is so important to change our members’ attitudes about service and about learning in general. I plan to use the tools provided in the service reflection toolkit.

(Quality of Service) Law to focus on: Law of interest & impact

• In the interest of time (and lack of planning), we often pick projects that we know are easy to plan and with partners with whom we already have established relationships. This totally removed the voice and choice from our members because it’s not taking into consideration what their interests are. I’d like to better utilize the member interest survey so members can identify what types of projects to focus on and identify who exactly they are serving in the community.

(Quality of  Execution& Planning) Law to focus on: Law of IPARD

• Similar to what I noted in the quality of learning, I’d like to see our team utilize IPARD in as many components of the program as possible. Even when learning in CRT or HSE, we can use these steps to help our members own their learning.

KuLena R. Burton

The Law of  Social Justice is becoming increasingly prominent in present day, across sectors. Knowing that this is not a newfound perspective, but that current modes of communication capture content faster, it is significant that AmeriCorps YouthBuild Members are able to effectively engage in all spaces. Recognizing that the intersectional constructs of culture have both oppressed and liberated a multitude of groups, it is significant that we champion our YouthBuild members, while equipping them with Service-Learning experiences that both heighten and strengthen human agency. Ideally the significance of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, through the awareness of the Law of Social Justice has the ability to extend to partnerships and the community at large.

We must Recognize and Honor Difference to respect difference. As Transformative Leaders, it is our responsibility to “Honor the Voice and Choice of Students”, while engaging healthy boundaries, so that they too are empowered and continue to actualize attributes, and the tools necessary to incite meaningful Social Change.

To date, I realize that the Law of Interest and Impact and the  Law of Social Justice have both been engaged, on a continuum, without knowledge of a specified name to identify the unified concepts. In daily interactions with potential YouthBuild AmeriCorps students and staff, the following can be noted:

1. Accompanying Members to FingerPrint Appointments to  Complete YB Background Check process.

Dialogue and insights about the significance of Fingerprints for Service as opposed to arrest, and the fact that it is ok to ask questions of law enforcement, as they are first and foremost, Public Servants has been explored

2. Examining the Structural Inequities and Trauma connected to Social Problems through lessons, and noting to students that wherever there is a phenomenon or issue, there is ultimately a tapped or untapped resource to either capitalize on or cultivate change in self and others.

( i.e. Colorism, the Colorblind Philosophy, Playground to Prison Pipeline,  Mass Incarceration, Systemic Inequities,  Human Trafficking and Gang Affiliation)

3. Urging Members to Be Mindful of not Perpetuating In-Group Biases and Stigmas and Stereotypes in  daily interaction.

All models that have been presented are incredibly useful. NEEDY vs. CEEDY service (specifically in interaction with young people who are actualizing re-entry), IPARD, Integration, Contextual Learning and Primary and Secondary Service continue to resonate greatly too.  The provision of this current 3-Part curriculum as a catalyst for structuring program and curriculum is proving immeasurable.

Miranda Valentine

Law of Interest and Impact. I would like to see this law bring used more with our participants. I find we pick the project so when it comes to the day some participants are not interested. So hopefully, we can have the participants tell us what projects they would like to participant in. This way the participants can plan and execute the project. Then the participants will knowledge what they have done and tell everyone. I can see this as great way to get in the community as well for recruitment, partners and employment.

Virginia Hamilton

Completely agree with you~ Plus learning the skill of planning and implementing a project is great for leadership development, and would look great on their resume!

Zanda Miller

To be honest, I would like to utilize all discussed. I fell there needs to be more leadership from the students. This is a lot to take in. However, the Laws of 5 Steps (IPARD) and Law of Meaningful Reflection would be my choice.

Virginia Hamilton

Quality of Learning: Law of Integration really sticks out to me. I would love to eventually coordinate weekly soft skills and academic skills into my service projects. I think this would really enhance the experience.

Quality of Planning: Law of 5 steps also known as IPARD is definitely something I want to start integrating. Having members take complete ownership of a project seems easier with the great resources and tools provided in this course.

Quality of Service: All of these I think were really beneficial but one I hadn’t really considered that much till the live presentation was Law of Proximity. Most of our projects have been indirect because of Covid. I need to think more about how to give a face to the activity and to make it more meaningful for members.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar