Course 3 Community Discussion

• This topic has 24 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated by .
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Katie Holloway
      Keymaster

What is the biggest personal challenge you face in teaching online and interacting with students in an online interface?

Velida

Hi Katie,

My biggest personal challenge is getting used to the silence that is so ubiquitous in online setting. I often feel like I am talking to myself, especially when cameras are not on and they often cannot be on due to poor internet connection. (I am sure you all know those moments when you start asking: do you still hear me?:))

The other challenge is to adjust my pace to that of the learners. As chat is often one of the main ways to engage with participants, I often forget that it takes time for people to type their responses. Strategies offered by Tamara i.e. typing only the first letters can help, though sometimes you want to see longer responses. Hand-raise is another mitigating strategy here which I am starting to use more, even when the number of the participants at the session is larger.

Thanks,

velida

Michelle Candy

Hi Velida,

I agree, the silence is odd and uncomfortable. I’m not in exactly that situation, since my zoom meeting is projected onto their whiteboard, but I will be presenting at COABE, virtually this year, and I’m already dreading that!

Dinorah Lorenzana

Yes, silence and cams off are so unconfortable, these make me feel like I’m talking alone, or I feel like participants are not understanding me.

Melissa J Kreek

My biggest challenge is urging more participants to engage. We typically have 1-2 vocal participants and the rest defer to others. I appreciate the ideas shared in this last session about reducing risk through trivial requests

Emily Lloyd

I too worry that I will have a hard time getting my students to engage. My classes are very small so I don’t have problems keeping my student’s engaged, but as we grow I fear that the students will not engage.

Velida

Hi Melissa, I totally relate to this challenge. As I am reflecting on (many!) webinars we have done so far, I am realizing that in some cases it is a matter of allocating enough time for the session/chat question so participants who are more shy or are simply not as fast can get opportunity to contribute. Another useful strategy – as you know – are polls. We still never get 100% participants respond but with assurance that polls are anonymous we are getting closer. Given how large are our groups i.e. 50 and more, I am happy if we get 90% of participants submit their votes.

Thank you!

Michelle Marland

Quite agree with the silence issue. Our cameras are off due to low bandwidth in Africa. Even on my side, since I have two monitors and a small desk where the laptop sits in front of one of the screens, it is hard to have my camera on and then also project the PPP and on another monitor see my notes. Juggling all of this is tedious and often I need another helper to manage the chat for me.

Dominique

I could not agree more with Velida and Melissa’s comments. Especially when you have a large group of participants (I often have 50+ participants), raising hands or taking the mike is not really feasible (or does not engage more than a small group of more “safe” participants). Finding ways to mimic the first letter activity is a good tip (“traffic light” check-in about speed of delivery through a 3-response poll?).

Does anyone know how to shift from white to black ink? I can’t see myself typing!!?!?!?

Dominique

This is very true, Melissa.  Related to this, I find it challenging to find ways to encourage participants to engage with each other / with their peers.  I welcome practical suggestions or tips from anyone!

Michelle Candy

I have to type my response in Word and then paste it and then submit it before I can see anything. Then I end up with items I may have tried to write and thought I deleted but didn’t. So no answers for you except frustration.

Michelle Candy

Hi Dominique,

Is there a way you can break your large groups into smaller chat rooms? I know it can be done in zoom, though I’m not sure how. I recently took a training session that is usually offered in person but was done over Teams. People were divided into chat rooms, and that helped, though it was still awkward. I mean, each group had a discussion question to discuss and present back to the large group, so we had a focus. It worked okay.

Emily Lloyd

Wow Dominique, that is a lot of students. I can see how it must be hard to engage with that many students. May be you could use beak out room so you divide the students into smaller groups. You could also break up the one class and make two classes. Good luck to you with all those students.

Michelle Candy

I cMy biggest personal challenge in teaching online is my inability to walk up and down the desks and help students individually on questions/problems they may have. I can see them writing on paper, but I can’t see what they’re writing or even if they’re writing or if they’re doodling or writing notes.
      My classes are small enough that I do get feedback, but I do have to call directly on people more than I usually do.
      an’

Velida

O yes! I so miss this face-to-face interaction so I can “read the room” and step in where needed. In online environment we have to rely on students reaching out for help and for some it works (but those are people that would typically call for your help in face-to-face environment!).

Thank you Michelle

Dinorah Lorenzana

Good point, it doesn’t feel the same to do it online and it’s like there is a large space between teachers and students, they need to feel like you care, and others need to know that you care about everyone.

Emily Lloyd

The biggest personal challenge I see is making sure I follow the plan. I also worry that I might make the sprints to long and loose the students attention.

Ariel Espinoza

I agree! This is something interesting, however, it will depend on the importance and the way we approach to them, we must make sure that our strategy develop an interest on the class.

Ariel Espinoza

My biggest challenge is to have my students interested that´s why these strategies and sprint formula are really important to learning process.

Ariel Espinoza

I completely agree, I think short and more structured lessons bring better results, also, we can implement different strategies like music and interactive activities to change the humor.

Dinorah Lorenzana

For me is to feel like we are not connecting, like we are just there because it is necessary. That lack of “community” or/and belonging

Dinorah Lorenzana

For me is to feel like we are not connecting, like we are just there because it is necessary. That lack of “community” or/and belonging, I feel like it is so hard to connect with participants

Michelle Marland

Yes, this is a challenge. I recently did a survey with my students and surprised that some responses had teambuilding and “PLEASE LETS MEET IN PERSON”. Seems like people are getting Zoom fatigue big time and want some online time to just be fun and not have a special agenda.

Jack Kaburu

My Biggest Challenge is the feeling of lack of control in some situations where you want to provide more guidance

Michelle Marland

The biggest challenge I face is often the transition from presenting information to discussion out loud. Learners are much more comfortable with posting in the chat their questions but unmuting themselves is a bit riskier, particularly when English is not their first language.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar