Course 2 Discussion Question #2

• This topic has 26 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated by .
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Clerico
      Keymaster

Review the Service Reflection Toolkit, identify 2 reflection activities that you will consider using in your service project to help learners make connections between content and the service that they are engaged in.

In your discussion, describe the chosen reflection activities and discuss how the activities will potentially help your service members make more meaningful connections between their service projects and the learning associated with the projects.

• #29674 Reply
      Sherrie Kirbach

Journaling & Cartooning

I have the members react on paper to a specific question. After a few minutes we will get into groups to discuss our  answers Then a spokes person from that group will report a summary of the groups responses. Discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly with the group and decide how we will change or adapt or leave as is our project

Cartooning – I LOVE this! Using huge post its for the wall ( or another platform – that electronically allows individuals to anonymously draw – that members use in academics) have each member draw something that represents how they are feeling  about our project. Then hold a guided discussion to determine about the images helping us decide how we might need to proceed with the project.

Both of these ideas will engage the members and give them a voice and a choice. The first promotes team work and leadership.

The second is physical and might make some feel  embarrassed about their skills – so maybe pair them up! Artist helpers and have them describe their drawing for the other to draw? I don’t know. I would hope when I used this one that we have enough comfort in the group to just go for it and have some laughs.

Both activities will increase ownership. Voice and Choice –

• #29675 Reply
        Sherrie Kirbach

That was fun. There are so many different types of reflections in the resource guide! I will be fun trying different one out with different groups to see which are received well and which ones are not!

• #29676 Reply
          Sherrie Kirbach

I think I am moving a bit fast through this information! I will circle back and see if there are more responses to respond to in a few days!

• #29750 Reply
          Candace Copenhaver

I agree there were a lot of great ideas on the list.  I also liked the cartooning!

• #29757 Reply
            Sherrie Kirbach

Yes, I am going to use the cartooning!

• #29860 Reply
            Miranda Valentine

Yes, really like this idea as well. Some participants can express their thoughts through drawings.

• #29926 Reply
          Zanda Miller

To be honest, I haven’t read through all of them. However, I like the “All on the Wall” activity. It engages all to participate, puts the information in one place, and keeps participates moving and engaging.

• #30306 Reply
          Maria Cortez

I love the idea of journaling and cartooning as tools for reflection!!

• #29875 Reply
        Virginia Hamilton

Sherrie I think Cartooning is a great idea! Anything that gets their mind thinking more creatively is good and also more interesting for students then always just answering questions on a worksheet or having a discussion.

I definitely am excited to have a whole new tool belt with different ideas to try!

• #29749 Reply
      Candace Copenhaver

I like the “Capturing” idea. Students could be asked at the beginning of the project to show on their face how they feel about it, they could be asked again in the middle, and at the end. I think it would be interesting to see the different expressions showing how students are feeling during different points in the project.

I also like the “Display Mural” If possible, students could gather items from their journey and use them in the display. For example, my students just went out and cleaned up a neighborhood secret garden. They could have taken a before and after picture, and gathered items to put on display showing the different items they were cleaning up.

• #29756 Reply
        Sherrie Kirbach

There were sooo many fun ideas to keep the members engaged!!!

• #29876 Reply
        Virginia Hamilton

Similarly to the Display Mural idea, I really liked the idea of keeping a time capsule with different memories that we could rediscover at the end of the year!

• #29912 Reply
        Amber Palmeri

I also like the capturing idea. It’s fun and encourages people to step out of their comfort zones a bit (at least the idea of making faces in front of people would do that for me!). Also a great idea about the before and after pictures for the display mural. Photos are a great way to reflect and see a visual at the impact that has been made.

• #29859 Reply
      Miranda Valentine

Have the participant answer certain questions that make them think or reflect on a certain part of the project. Also, having the participant draw either how they feel or what they remember about the project

• #29866 Reply
      Brandon

easy to understand

• #29874 Reply
      Virginia Hamilton

The idea of writing a press release was something I never considered previously but think is an excellent idea. Not only will it teach the members a skill, but it could work to change perception of our member population if the story is picked up and also give your organization some free advertisement.

I liked a lot of the ideas listed in the resource guide. I have seen some of them before but it is so nice to have a resource where I can flip through and have a list of creative activities! Thank you Mockingbird/ YouthBuild

• #29903 Reply
      Brandy Stewart

What? So what? Now what? – Definitely my favorite and it’s so broad it can be done so many different ways.

I also love the “letter to yourself”. We do this during Mental Toughness and students open it at graduation. I can see utilizing it in service learning as well.

• #29911 Reply
        Amber Palmeri

We also do the letter to self at the beginning of programming. It’s so meaningful, and I’ve heard great feedback about it from our Corpsmembers. Generally, we plan to give them out at the end of program celebration, but sometimes we use them mid-way through if a young person is really struggling and just needs a reminder of their “why”. I’ve also been thinking about a “letter to a future Corpsmember” that they would write to a person who will be in the upcoming cycle as an encouraging “you can do this!” reminder.

• #29910 Reply
      Amber Palmeri

I don’t know if I can just pick two! So many great ideas. For now I’ll say appreciation cards–I love the idea of everyone writing something that they appreciate about another person for them to read it. We’ve done this with our staff before, but not with Corpsmembers, and I think they’ll love it.

I also love the all on the wall idea. It’s a great way for people to publicly share without having to actually stand up and speak in front of a group. It’s also a great way create a visual of the experience not only for the participants, but for others who want to learn about the project.

• #29925 Reply
        Zanda Miller

They all sound great. I like the “One to Three Words” and the “Senses” activity sound pretty good. Most of our youth have a difficult expressing themselves, and I fell these activites would assist them with developing their ability to connect to their senses.

• #29945 Reply
      Latonya Hudson McGee

The discussion stone is a good one, when the group leader picks up the stone after each service project then each participant understand that as the stone is passed, they must reflect on what they learned from the project or what their thoughts/feeling were during the project.

• #29951 Reply
      KuLena R. Burton

Greetings!

In all honesty, I have no idea where the reflection toolkit is right now, but in reviewing the content here…my goto Reflection activities are as follows

BEGINNING

1. HAND WREATH – Group Norms Are Established and or the Scientific Formula which can now revert to IPARD or Feasible is used to reflect on product goals or objectives. I allow it to happen organically.

2. PERIODIC CHECK-INs- Engage With Team Members while sharing in tasks, to gauge thoughts and insights. Use lexicon of current study materials. This celebrates Choice & Voice.

END

3. PEACE CIRCLE– an Object (i.e. candle, mask, a crystal, a mirror, an Afrikan Walking stick used by griots or an any other significant element) is  passed around  circle. The only on that has permission to talk is the person holding the object, and a quiet space, indoors or outdoors can be selected for this communal RITUAL. Group members select the space.

These Steps Don’t have to take place in succession, because the REFLECTION process is ongoing. VISION BOARDS, ARTWORK & PERSONAL PROJECTS enhance the experience too.

Yep, this basically intersects with the other responses.

• #29952 Reply
        KuLena R. Burton

REVISED

BEGINNING

1. HAND WREATH – Group Norms Are Established and or the Scientific Formula which can now revert to IPARD or Feasible is used to reflect on product goals or objectives. I allow it to happen organically.

MIDDLE

2. PERIODIC CHECK-INs- Engage With Team Members while sharing in tasks, to gauge thoughts and insights. Use lexicon of current study materials. This celebrates Choice & Voice.

END

3. PEACE CIRCLE– an Object (i.e. candle, mask, a crystal, a mirror, an Afrikan Walking stick used by griots or an any other significant element) is  passed around  circle. The only person that has permission to talk is the one holding the object. A quiet space, indoors or outdoors can be selected for this communal RITUAL. Group members select the space.

These Steps Don’t have to take place in succession, because the REFLECTION process is ongoing. VISION BOARDS, ARTWORK & PERSONAL PROJECTS enhance the experience too.

Yep, this basically intersects with the other responses. Typos in the 1st Draft

• #30080 Reply
      Tanza Pugliese

We do something similar as the on the wall thing. It gives the quieter students a chance to be heard and contribute in a low stakes way.

Would like to try cartooning. Many of our students enjoy sharing their artistic side.

• #30255 Reply
        Matt Fisher

These are great KuLena activities.  I always loved the ritual behind the peace circle.  Thanks for reminding me of that activity.  It looks like there is a link to course resources at the top of this viewing window, between Command center and coaching session.

• #30307 Reply
      Maria Cortez

Typically after a service learning project, we have a discussion about what the project meant to each person and the impact behind it. With so many ideas found in the toolkit, I think I will moving towards using the journaling and letter to self as reflection tools through out the participants time in our program.

Viewing 11 reply threads
Reply To: Course 2 Discussion Question #2
Your information:

Skip to toolbar