Course 2 Discussion Question #2

• This topic has 38 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated by .
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Katie Holloway
      Keymaster
      How can the Sprint Formula help you structure your online learning sessions and how will use the formula to increase your effectiveness?
      In your own words…
      • Which elements of the Sprint Formula do you currently implement effectively? Which elements do you overlook or do you wish you were more effective with?
      • Describe how you will use the Sprint Formula to help you more effectively organize your live online learning sessions?

Posting Instructions:
      Hit reply to this thread to post your initial response. Do not start a new topic. Only start a new topic when you are starting a new thread of conversation.

• #27892 Reply
      Melissa J Kreek

I use some of the tools now but definitely have some fresh ideas after this training. In future sessions, I plan to:

– start engagement with a briefing on technology and expectations/avenues for engagement

– ramp up use of the chat box for participant engagement

– more intensionally use stories/case studies/examples that participants can relate to, to introduce subject matter

– use music/questions/chat to transition

– pause and give time for participants to practice concept and apply concept through channels of engagement

– stay online after we finish content for any other discussion

Thanks!

• #28119 Reply
        Andres Bucaro

Use of music in  class, that is so marvelous, and I think that represent an oportunity to sinchronize emotionaly whit students.

• #28130 Reply
          Ariel Espinoza

The music can be used as motivation resource and can make a change on the people feelings.

• #28132 Reply
            Melissa J Kreek

Yes!  I really appreciate the recommendations for music organized by “mood” that Mockingbird shared earlier this week – such a great reference!

• #28234 Reply
            Emily Lloyd

I use music in my current online class and I also feel that it motivates my students. Music can speak directly to a person and motivate them to cooperate and join in.

• #28193 Reply
          Michelle Marland

Melissa,

I really like your suggestion of staying after the training or meeting to allow participants to engage or ask questions. Like Velida mentions, an easy thing to incorporate and still shows you are being intentional about their learning and growth.

Michelle

• #28144 Reply
        Michelle Candy

Melissa,

I like your idea to build a store of case studies, stories and examples to use in the beginning of the sprint. I didn’t even attempt to address that. I teach Social Studies and Language Arts for GED, and I am just not really sure what could work here. Stories, I guess. My students are really drawn to narratives. So. I guess, on to start collecting!

• #28226 Reply
          Anne Sellers

Michelle (and Melissa), I agree – I think the ‘stories’ (common experience) piece of the sprint formula is something I’ve not done in the past and might have a hard time coming up with – so pulling together a bank of ideas makes a lot of sense!

• #28188 Reply
        Velida

Hello everyone,

I think I am doing well in terms of organizing information in chunks and mini-sprints. Knowing that they should last for max 15-20 mins is very helpful, so I plan to improve on duration of these mini-sprints.

I also think I am doing well in terms of housekeeping and norms of engagement, though I think I could be more explicit about our polls and quizzes being anonymous so participants feel more at ease and perhaps would be more willing to respond to polls (we have noticed that there are always few people that never respond to a poll).

Finally, I think I could do better job with transition and exit part of the online session.

Improvement in these issues would make my sessions more fun and engaging and likely less stressful for me:)

• #28189 Reply
        Velida

Hi Melissa, I also like that Tamara offers this additional online time at the end for anyone that is interested in asking questions. Such an easy thing to do, yet I have never done it!

Thank you for reminding me of that,

velida

• #28205 Reply
        RAMANANJOHANY Veroniaina

Firstly, I will always start with the housekeeping and continue to the  agenda, norms of engagement, enrollment since this is a great way to start the session. Then, the Sprint Steps  to ensure the content of the course.

I will use some of music and quiz to energize the participants.  it always better to ensure participant confidence also.

• #28215 Reply
        Dinorah Lorenzana

I think many of us feel the same, the entrance ramp needs to be polished

• #27914 Reply
      Emily Lloyd

I believe that I use Norms of Engagement well. I tell the objectives which is the expectations and I give them the Standard that is being used in the lesson. However, I feel that I do not use the Enrollment at all so I really need to work on this. I usually just look at who is in attendance. I just began to realize that some students in attendance are so only in name.

I plan to use the Sprint Formula to get organized and engage my students more effectively. I believe that the formula is good example of how an online session should run. I plan to implement the entire process in my online classes. I feel that I can use this method to reach my students and keep their attention.

• #28190 Reply
        Velida

Hi Emily,

I also realized that few participants are only there by name, they are not engaged, they do not feel the polls or anything. I think part of the problem is that they feel intimidated. Now I am trying to emphasize that polls are anonymous as well as have some easy questions in polls so participants are more relaxed and confident to engage.

Thank you!

• #28192 Reply
          Michelle Marland

Emily and Velida,

Even on my agendas each month I put on the bottom in a footnote a quote relating to the topic we are discussing that day. I think something I could do is then take that quote and invite people to discuss it or respond in the chat. I think even casual questions in polls such as “if you were an ice cream flavor, which one would you be” are fun and light.

Best of luck!

Michelle

• #28111 Reply
      Noro

I use norms of engagement and agenda not so bad. But Following this training, i found more idea and tips on how i can engage the participants and deliver a good quality of training.

Firstly, i will do a briefing about using technology platform.

i will use also the sprint formula guide to help me to be more organized and ensure participant engagement and enrollment

• #28133 Reply
        Melissa J Kreek

Noro, I agree that moving the technology brief to the first topic is really helpful and can elevate some anxiety among participants (and the facilitator!).  With all the technological tools available to us, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by how they are used so I think this is really important!

• #28117 Reply
      Andres Bucaro

I must recognize that the spritn formula is new for mee

• #28118 Reply
        Andres Bucaro

The first that I want to apply is the use of short time periods or sprints, an the possibility to vary beetween them.

Second, the state changes results so interesting for me, but I think that I should experience it internly to project the state change for students, just as Tamara does.

Third, the use of forums as a way of social interaction is not so common in my context, I want to encourage students to use it.

• #28129 Reply
        Ariel Espinoza

This is something useful, I am agree and we can implement it as new recourses on the learning process, I think it will help us to get better results and keep the process on going without weaknesses.

• #28216 Reply
        Dinorah Lorenzana

For me too, I guess I kind of do it before, but not that well organized, neither I knew the name

• #28128 Reply
      Ariel Espinoza

I would like to use the agenda since this is a great way to structure our sessions, when we determinate specifics topics it helps to get a better learning process and students may feel more comfortable and find the process more friendly.
      To apply Norms of engagement, make our student experience more effective learning process and commitment.
      Also, I really like the Content Sprint Steps since they contribute to make an easier structure and way to deliver the content, and the next steps is the complement and keep in touch with students to monitor the progress.

• #28140 Reply
        Michelle Candy

Ariel, I totally agree with you on the agenda. I have never used a visual agenda, and I’ve begun to realize how really important that is to help with organization and memory.

• #28142 Reply
      Michelle Candy

My current setting is in a minimum-security correctional center. Because of Covid, we are not currently allowed to be in the room with our students for more than 15 minutes. They are in the classroom, in groups of 4-6, and we are in the adjoining room. We teach using Zoom which is projected onto the whiteboard in their classroom. They communicate with us via microphone and webcam in their room. They do not have access to the student zoom computer, nor can they access any app or program that is online.
      Thus, there are some of the aspects of the entrance ramp that don’t really apply. For example, with housekeeping, they are not actually using the technology platform. And I usually take record while they are watching CNN10 at the beginning of class. They can’t answer polls via zoom.
      However, in reflecting on the entrance ramp, I realize I don’t give them a visual agenda for the day. I’ve never done it in person or via zoom. But I’m understanding more how helpful this is for keeping track of what is going on and for memory purposes. I have made a sample agenda for a class next week and I will follow up to see what my students think of it. I’m toying with using music to break up sprints. I feel a little like I’m all thumbs and am not sure how doing a PPT agenda and music will work out, but I have seen first-hand how that helps to give a state change and I want to try it. I will also follow up with them on this. (any time I change something up I let them know what I’m doing and why and ask for their feedback—they generally are not shy at letting me know they do or don’t like something and why.)
      I want to become more intentional with flash review, as well. I’ve started doing that in the last week, and I’ve seen that my students have better retention. They were able to remember some pretty dense concepts as I reviewed them. I am VERY BAD at remembering to do this, so I’m trying to write it in my lessons so I do remember.
      Once I can fluently plan via the sprint formula, I think I will become more fluent at the things that freak me out right now, like using music or a PPT. (I wish I had learned this 30 years ago in teacher training—it would have been a lot easier for my younger brain to get used to. 😊)

• #28403 Reply
        Jack Kaburu

Michelle,

I’m also not good at flash reviews. Definitely, this would be worth incorporating if it helps with content retention.

• #28194 Reply
      Michelle Marland

Hi Katie,
      I use the agenda, polly polls for easy questions to break the ice and next steps the most. I think I could include more reviews, visual cues, and state changes like mini stretches and music. I have always assumed by now everyone knows where chat and mute are on teams, but it doesn’t hurt to level the playing field and be clear on expectations as well.

I will use the sprint formula mostly to do the mini sprints and reviews as I am pretty good at the entry and exit ramp activities. Michelle

• #28207 Reply
        Velida

Hi Michelle, I too realized that I assume a lot of things in terms of technology and engagement. In my last webinar I decided to re-iterate the expectations e.g. use of chat throughout the webinar to ask questions and share thoughts (it was a large group of about 50 participants), then also remind everyone that polls are anonymous etc. It was good, and it does not take a lot of time. Definitely worth doing.

Thank you

• #28225 Reply
          Anne Sellers

Hi Michelle and Velida,
          Velida, similar to Michelle, I also mostly skip the ‘tech tips’ part in the housekeeping, on the assumption that everyone by now knows how to use MSTeams – but Velida’s examples of what to expect (anonymous polls, chat for Qs, etc.) make sense! Especially since some platforms (zoom, I think?) have both a Q&A function and a chat… Michelle, I think I also need to work on state changes – I know that I do these automatically on my own when I am participating in a long webinar or training (standing up for part of the presentation, etc.), but it’s a good idea to build them into the overall structure of the session!

• #28214 Reply
      Dinorah Lorenzana

Which elements of the Sprint Formula do you currently implement effectively? Which elements do you overlook or do you wish you were more effective with?
      I’m not sure if I implement them successfully, but I think enrollment and common experiences are something that I do well.

Describe how you will use the Sprint Formula to help you more effectively organize your live online learning sessions? I dehave to work on my entrance ramp for sure, I kind of had something similar, but totally disorganized. Music break are something that I need to try, I guess music might change the state of students and improve their performance as they might become more motivated.

• #28227 Reply
      Anne Sellers

For some reason, the field is showing up with white font on white background again! I will have to respond to mthis post, to be able to see it!

• #28228 Reply
        Anne Sellers

What I wanted to say, was that I think I’ve used bits and pieces of the sprint formula throughout the trainings and sessions I’ve organized – but never as comprehensively and carefully. So I think having the entire ‘ideal’ laid out is useful. I’m thinking a lot about transitions – and how to use them effectively – and the ‘common experience’ piece; out of all of the components, these are probably the ones I struggle with / implement less frequently or effectively.

• #28235 Reply
          Emily Lloyd

I also feel that I use bits and pieces of the Mockingbird plan. I use music to motivate and I ask the students to cooperate in different ways. I don’t feel that my sprints are short enough. I plan to change my way of teaching to follow the Mockingbird way.

• #28350 Reply
      Lisa Morelli

I currently use the norms of engagement and agenda in my lessons. This helps for the students to understand what they are going to be doing in the lesson as well as things that they need to know to do and what not to do in the lesson. I tend to overlook the common experience part of the sprint method. I feel that most teachers use bits and pieces of the Mocking Bird sprint method in their lesson. When we get back to in person teaching, I hope to be able to use the whole sprint pathway, instead of just parts of it.

• #28758 Reply
        Lany Moore

I agree with you, Lisa. We use some bits and pieces of the sprint formula. I am glad that we have templates that we can use to create our lesson now. This will help a lot as we continue to create and modify the strategies suited for our students.

• #28402 Reply
      Jack Kaburu

Hi Katie
      • Which elements of the Sprint Formula do you currently implement effectively?
       State Change – This switch allows the learners to have a brief break in order to reenergized. Also, it helps me get re-organized in the event the previous topic didn’t go well.
       Question and Feedback – This to me is an effective way of covering topics as it allows learners a chance to seek clarification without interrupting the class
       Chatbox – I normally use this for questions and feedback especially in the middle of a session. This also opens up the topic for further discussion. Wherever possible I get someone to monitor incoming chats

• Which elements do you overlook or do you wish you were more effective with?
       Music as a transition cue – Rarely uses this option. I think it comes in handy and I’m willing to use it in my next training session.

• #28422 Reply
      Ronnelle Sammons

I believe that I do well at planning for and implementing the content sprints but need to work on the entrance and exit ramps. These are procedures that would really improve student engagement and comfortability. As I work to plan for my next lessons I will ensure to review the sprint formula and included each step. I believe that once I get this process down it will be easy to adapt for all other future lessons.

• #28759 Reply
        Lany Moore

I will try to incorporate the sprint formula we have learned in this seminar. I will adjust some of them depending on the needs of our students.

• #28757 Reply
      Lany Moore

I have used some of the sprint formulas in my class but not fully. Housekeeping and norms of engagement are the elements that I use in my classroom. It is important for me that the students know how to navigate the platforms in my google classroom and understand some of the features in google meet. I also inform my students about my expectation in class. When we were doing the in-person class, I played music in the background while the class was ongoing. But not intentionally the way we have it in the seminar. I will try to implement the Agenda where sprint variation is embedded. This will help structure my lesson and will stimulate the interest of my students.

Viewing 13 reply threads
Reply To: Course 2 Discussion Question #2
Your information:

Skip to toolbar