Course 2 Discussion Question #1

• This topic has 61 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated by .
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Katie Holloway
      Keymaster
      Pick three of the strategies in the engagement strategies of master educators that you are interested in implementing in your next live learning session. For each strategy, in your own words…
      • Describe the role and purpose of the strategy and how the strategy helps at-risk learners with attention, working memory, or sensory memory challenges.
      • Explain how you think the strategy will help you as a facilitator, how you will use the strategy in your next live learning session and ​the specific steps you will take to implement the strategy.

Posting Instructions:
      Hit reply to this thread to post your initial response. Do not start a new topic. Only start a new topic when you are starting a new thread of conversation.
      Cecila Adamson

The three engagement strategies that I am interested in implementing in my next live learning session are sprints, flash reviews, and physical state changes. The purpose of sprints is to provide short mini lessons to help manage students’ attention and working memory better by minimizing the cognitive load. Flash reviews help to check for understanding and with working memory as well as sensory memory necessary for cognitive recall. Physical state changes are opportunities to increase attention when attention begins to wane low and bounce the learner back up for active engagement in the session.

These three strategies will help me as a facilitator to keep the learner and myself actively engaged during the lesson. I will apply the strategies in my next live session by breaking the lesson into smaller chunks while implementing flash reviews to check the learning progress as we go. I’ll also use music to activate physical state changes to allow the learner to stand up, stretch, or take a small break.

Roxie Carroll

Cecila, I am so glad that you included yourself when referring to the strategies keeping us actively engaged. I do find that my focus needs redirected at times as well. Thank you for that reminder.

Joan l Duffie

I like the way you planned your activities!

Deborah Jones

Hello Cecila

Sprint and sprint variation were chosen for implementing strategies for this discussion.  One agrees with your statement, The purpose of sprints is to provide short mini lessons to help manage students’ attention and working memory better by minimizing the cognitive load.  Mini lesson has help my students retain more information in the past.  Therefore, this would be a perfect strategy to utilize.

Sara Mercer

Good to know I’m not alone with attention issues.  I find I ramble sometimes or repeat myself too many times.  Sometimes being succinct is the best way.

Jackie Roach

Me too, Roxie!!!! I find myself getting distracted pretty easily sometimes. These strategies will certainly help with that!

Deborah Jones

Hello Sara

I think we all can get distracted at times especially when we are teaching students and the topic breaks off into various areas that are not planned.  However, these strategies will assist with keep us on track.

Sylvie Archer

Sprints will definitely keep us on track. I like that. I do have the proclivity to sometimes go off on a tangent. You’re not alone! LOl 😀

Ericka Reid

I thought I was the only one! I will go on tangents without even realizing it, and then 10 minutes later I’m asking the students “how did we get on this topic?” and trying to get back onto the topic at hand. I also repeat myself as Sara stated. I’m glad I am not the only one.

Pierre Lafun
        Keymaster

Great points! Instructors are adult learners too.

The state changes, which are designed to reset our attention, which naturally fades over relatively short periods of time (research says 3-5 minutes online), help us stay focused also.

Sylvie Archer

I completely agree! I think we tune out pretty quickly as human beings. Therefore, Sprints are an ideal way of preventing that data overload.

Joan l Duffie

(3) Sensory Cues- Uses signals to cue information so learners quickly prioritize and capture important information in working memory.

(5) State Changes- Change the mental, emotional, and physical state of learners at least every 15-20 minutes to sustain engagement.

(7) Sequence & Chunking – Organize information in small sequential steps so complex information is easily digested.

I picked these three strategies will help me as a facilitator because I feel that my students will benefit from them.  I will use the strategies to help keep my Low-Level students motivated and on task. I will break up the lessons in small chunks and teach/facilitator in small groups. I will schedule breaks, dance to the music time, and quiet/wound down time to keep students on task.

Lauran Willard

When students are in an online learning environment, it is so easy for them to get distraction.

james

Yes, they have distrations created by our learning paradigms as well as from their own environment.  THis is a complicated system of learning for many individuals who don’t have the background in online/self-study education.

Amy Denney

I picked the same strategies. I love your idea of dancing in time to the music. This would be great for sustaining attention.

Peggy Wilson

Yes, Lauran, we often forget the many environments and possible issues that affect online  learning students.

Zina Matthews-Holmes

Sequence and chunking is how I get my students to retain information.  I also have to give them time to write their notes down otherwise, they won’t remember a thing the next day.

Amy Denney

Pick three of the strategies in the engagement

The three strategies that I would like to implement in my next training session would be the following:

1. State changes-changing the mental, emotional, and physical state of learners every 15 minutes. The purpose of this strategy is to help the students retain the material by mentally organize the material.

2. Sequence and chunking is another method that I will incorporate because it helps the students not use up all his/her cognitive memory processing or the frying pan.

3. Sensory Cues is the final one that I will use because I want my students to have visual and auditory reminders of important data.

Peggy Wilson

The three engagement Strategies that I would like to  implement are Sprints, Sensory Cues, and  Self-Reflection and Articulation.  Sprints are short mini lessons that should last around 15 minutes.  The purpose of designing short lessons is to keep the student engaged.   Sensory Cues are used to reduce cognitive load, wire memories, and  improve memory retention.  Multi-sensory cues are most powerful as they apply to visual, auditory, and anesthetics senses.  Self -Reflection and Articulation activities help students to own a concept by sharing it in their own words.

I will use Sprints by planning activities that presented in a meaningful yet timely manner.  This strategy should help me to help keep my students focused and successful with the planned objectives. Sensor Cues will definitely take time and creativity on my part to help my students improve concept retention.  Addressing  multi- sensory cues in the online environment will require strategies and manipulatives that can successfully be used online. Self- Reflection  can easily be addressed online especially through discussion forums.  I will first need to address technical skills that will allow students to share their understanding of  concepts in a variety of ways.

Philandria Williams

Yes, I definitely like the idea of music and looove Tamara’s music.

Zina Matthews-Holmes

The purpose of sprints are to provide short mini lessons.  They assist student in managing their attention span.  The flash reviews help me to check for student understanding,

Sylvie Archer

<div>Pick three of the strategies in the engagement strategies of master educators that you are interested in implementing in your next live learning session. For each strategy, in your own words…</div>

• Describe the role and purpose of the strategy and how the strategy helps at-risk learners with attention, working memory, or sensory memory challenges.
          • I plan to use Sprints, Chunking and Sequencing, and Flash Reviews in my classroom.
            • Sprints are a brilliant way of avoiding burnout or students becoming overwhelmed with data overload.
            • Chunking and Sequencing–breaking things down into bite-sized chunks will help my students to better digest and comprehend the information disseminated to them.
            • Flash reviews will be excellent way of assessing student learning levels in order to determine how I should direct the rest of the lesson.
        • Explain how you think the strategy will help you as a facilitator, how you will use the strategy in your next live learning session and ​the specific steps you will take to implement the strategy.
          • I will employ these strategies in every clas to ensure my students are getting what they in, when they need it, and at the pace and quantity that is most conducive to their learning and development.
      Roxie Carroll

I think I use most of these strategies to some extent. However, I am interested in the three strategies that I need to focus on: sensory cues, sequence and chunking, and self-reflection.

Using all three sensory cues, visual, audio, and kinesthetic, at the same time enables information storage and retrieval. I do believe that by its nature ESL classes requires visual and auditory learning, but I realize that the addition of kinesthetic could add another layer on the students’ memory path. I would like to examine and study this a bit more to see the best way to apply a kinesthetic component to my class. I think it might be a bit interesting to see how I could even incorporate all the sensory cues with the “state change” strategy.

Sequencing and chunking presents information in smaller bits that students can more easily handle. Using a graphic organizer as a presentation tool to the student also reinforces the memory path. It also works as a tool for the teacher when having the students recall the information. Although, I already use sequencing and chunking, using a graphic organizer would add another visual that would benefit the ELLs.

Self-reflection and articulation is having the students put the information in their own words. This is necessary for ELLs to show their progressions in speaking and writing another language.

Sara Mercer

The kinesthetic portion will be the harder one for me.  I find I talk a lot more than is needed and get little feedback from students.  I am working on switching things up and maybe that will wake up the students as well.  Maybe I just wasn’t reaching their learning style.

Joan l Duffie

I agree, I am learning to listen more!

Amy Denney

Sara, how encouraging to admit that you will have some trouble with implementing one of the strategies. You sound like a wonderful educator because you are willing to try new things.

Chasidy Parks

Yes,

Sensory Ques are important. This is a major when it comes to keeping the student’s attention.

Pierre Lafun
        Keymaster

That is great that you are using sensory cues so effectively, Roxie. I’ve heard from several ESL educators that this strategy is already a big part of what they do.

Sequence and chunking is so critical to promoting learners’ understanding of material. You’ll notice the content sprints in the sprint formula follow a certain sequence…1. Shared experience, 2. Practice/model, 3. Apply. It’s the same principle the sensory cues operate on…connect to someone’s pre-existing schema, put new skills in that context, have them immediately use the new skill.

Mary Baxter

Your suggestion of graphic organizers seems to fit well with this strategy. Do you use graphic organizers in your class now? If so, how is it going?

Ericka Reid

I forgot about self-reflection. I like the strategy as well. Sometimes having the students explain key details on their own allows the information to really stick in their heads. It also allows the instructor to not assume the students understand. The students will get a chance to see for themselves, as well, if they understand the material. This can really boost their confidence. Even if the student does not understand, they can now articulate what is causing the confusion.

james

If I could have picked a fourth it would have been self-reflection. I try to do it as much as possible but with so many lessons being implemented daily/weekly, it is difficult to properly reflect on pros/cons of my and their learning in relation to the lessons being planned and implemented.

Laura Sanabria

Roxie,

I’d be interested in seeing how you develop the kinesthetic aspect to class. When we were sitting in the classroom, I used it all the time with props I provided. I did have a colleague suggest using the scavenger hunt in the house to get students mentally and physically involved in the moment.

Sara Mercer

I have begun using state changes, short sprints, and sensory cues.  I am giving them a minute to get up and move before we move on to another portion of the material or between switching subjects.  I also like short sprints because it keeps me focused.  I have horrible ADD.  Sometimes I also ramble needlessly.  This helps me focus better so I can present the material better.  And I need to work more on sensory cues.  This helps all learners learn.  I just haven’t been very good at implementing it.

Mary Baxter

Sara, you bring up a great point that instructors can benefit from these strategies as well. It not only helps students maintain focus, but it can help instructors stay on task.

Lauran Willard

I like using sensory clues. I t helps students refocus their attention.

Laura Sanabria

James,

I know what you mean!

Reflection? I’ve run out of time! So, I am going to experiment posing a prompt in our Whatsapp “discussion forum”

Annette Merier

I  noticed that as well. (These helped me also.)  Especially the state changes.  I was glad to stand up and move around some.    I get tired of sitting to use my computer and document camera for long periods of time.  I am sure that the students feel the same way.

Jackie Roach

The three engagement strategies I would be interested in implementing during my next live session are:  sprints; physical state changes, and flash reviews.

It is my job as the instructor to try my best to maintain student (and my) focus during the session. One way to help with this is to allow students to get up and move during the session. Allowing students to take a break or stand up and stretch every so often will encourage them to stay focused and on track and it will make it easier for them to do so. The sprints will also help with maintaining student focus because it breaks down the content into smaller blocks of instruction. This makes it easier for the students to complete blocks of instruction while maintaining their focus and motivation. The flash review needs to be done at the end of each content sprint, and this will allow me to see where their progress is at various points throughout the lesson.

Jackie Roach

I love your idea of letting them get up and move before you present the next piece of the lesson. I think that will help greatly with their attention and with their motivation to continue listening and participating.

Roxie Carroll

Agree. I think changing states is crucial for both the student and the instructor. Looking too long at a computer is not healthy nor beneficial for anyone.

Pierre Lafun
          Keymaster

There are three different types of state changes:

Physical-This is the type that is most obvious. Get up and dance, stretch, etc.

Psychological-In terms of our inner life, fading attention can feel like distractions creeping in on our focus, or subtle negative doubts in our ability or motivation. Frequent, continuous positive feedback and encouraging students to appreciate their own efforts out loud provide this kind of state change. Are you praising often, and celebrating successes?

Social-Shifting the social dynamics of the group sprint-to-sprint helps reset learner focus. Tamara is always saying we “talk too much.” What are simple ways we can get students’ voices out loud? The chat box? Breakout rooms? Is it possible to turn some of your facilitation duties over to students?

Brianna Gillis

The chat box is working great for my live sessions! My learners are really enjoying using it for communication and I am praising their participation and accomplishments and calling them by name as Tamara suggested.

Brianna Gillis

I agree, changing state is needed for instructors also and it’s a great way to change state for everyone.

Zina Matthews-Holmes

Yes, the chat box works for me as well!  The students remain anonymous and I get my answers.  🙂

Mary Baxter

I am not currently teaching, but three strategies I would like to help our teachers implement are sensory cues, flash reviews, state changes. Sensory cues help learners retain information because they create better organization and prioritization in working memory. Flash reviews used in conjunction with sensory cues will help students with sensor memory challenges because it creates multiple links to the information. State changes help students maintain attention by giving them a chance to shift mentally and physically and then refocus on the material.

Each of these strategies will help our instructors hold the attention of learners and give students multiples ways of receiving and recalling information. It will also make learning more fun and dynamic. I will begin implementing these strategies by conducting a PD workshop with teachers, to include activities that demonstrate the strategy, so that they can then implement the strategies in class.

Brianna Gillis

The three engagement strategies that I plan to implement in my next live learning session are sprint variations, flash reviews, and and state change.  I will vary my sprints during my next live learning session to reduce my learners’ cognitive load.  I will also implement flash reviews during periodic reviews with sensory cues.  This will allow me to check for my learner’s understanding of the content and enhance their learning experience.  I will also implement state change by having learners get up and move around and play music to increase attention by changing the mental, emotional, and physical state of my learners.

These strategies will help me as an instructor keep my learners engaged during live sessions and reduce cognitive load by using sprints and variations of sprints, check for their understanding using flash reviews, and keep their attention by using state change.

Ericka Reid

The three engagement strategies I would like to use are sprints, flash review, and sequence and chunking. Sprints will help the students, and myself, stay focus on a key topic for a short amount of time. This will allow the students to have continuous attention. Sequence and Chunking will take the complex information into smaller sequences or strategies. I already was using this type of strategy in class, but after taking this course I reevaluated how I was using this strategy and made the sequences even better so that the students feel more confident at the end of the lesson.

Flash review I believe would help me engage the students and periodically review key points to help the learner to process the information. Too many times we as instructors finish the lesson section and then move on without checking with the students that they understand the information. If they do not, then the instructor knows not to move onto the next part of the lesson or the next sprint. Instead you can create a new sprint lesson that allows the students to work on the materials they do not understand.

Many instructors on here have stated that physical state change has helped their students. I was reluctant to try this, but with so many positive reviews of this strategy I will give it a try!

Philandria Williams

I agree and have also been guilty of moving on and assuming that students understood the information.

Shaquanna Tuck

I agree Ericka that we all have been guilty of moving on without a review of key points.  I think what is difficult is that we teach a variety of students on different levels.  You will have some that have it and want to move on, but others need more time.  This will be a learning curve to find that balance.

Lauran Willard

I would implement flash reviews, state changes, and sequencing and chunking. These strategies would help students retain information.

james

The steps that I want to incorporate more are:

1. Sequence and Chunking-  I find that sometimes, especially with math, I assume that all of my learners will have already retained, or at least been exposed to, some concepts.  This leads to false cognition and I need to make sure that they are gaining exposure to smaller blocks of information to make sure that they are understanding and retaining the material presented.

2. Sprint Variation- Varying the content and instructional patterns can help learners break up monotony and keep them engaged throughout the process.  We can often get caught in patterns and students both feel comfortable with learning patterns and bored at the same time.

3. Multi-sensory cues- Engaging different parts of the brain is fundamental for students to grasp and retain information.  In addition, everyone learns in different ways.  This can help a visual learner as well as a kinetic learner.

Annette Merier

I also am planning to vary my sprints.  I teach math and often rely heavily on working examples.  Most students seem to learn well with this method but I am planning to use more variety to help keep students engaged and help them learn.

Laura Sanabria

My first attempt at replying got accidentally erased before submitting! Drat Chromebook!

Here is a second attempt….

I realize that most of the strategies, I’ve already been implementing in a intuitive way. Now I have the research to backup my approach. I really need to fine tune, but I am convinced about these principles.

Using the Physical State change is something I have started using recently. Students love it. They really boogey with my 2 minute musical pause. Those who don’t get my explanation as to why we are doing this as I stretch my arms and touch my toes. It is vital! I usually power through the lesson and realize that this is counterproductive. They need to stop.

Flash review is badly needed in my lesson plan. Building it in is my goal. But I already went over that material! They should know it! I got it…my mistake. Chant baby chant. Review with visual cues and audio cues to reinforce, code, package and help memory.

Reflect and articulate- who has the time? I will focus on these, but with  a beginner class this will be challenging. I think I will try using Whatsapp to implement. Pose questions open for thought and student participation immediately following class, where students may answer without the pressure of peers in the moment.

Deborah Jones

The three engagement strategies that will be implemented are sprints, sprint variation, and self-reflection and articulation. The purpose of sprint is to provide mini lessons that address teaching the students the principle, demonstrating effective models, and practicing the skill for mastery. Mini lessons are essential because the lessons hit all three targets. The sprint variation provides opportunities to keep the students engaged by varying the content and activities to avoid repetition, over saturation and boredom. Self-reflection and articulation are used to help students process, rehearse and reflect upon complex information.

I will used these strategies to assist me in providing a learning environment that helps the students stay engaged.  The learning process can be obtain by assisting students with strategies to retain the information with self-reflection and articulation.

Peggy Wilson

Deborah, I agree with your statement about preventing over saturation and boredom.  Once students feel over saturated and bored, they often begin to feel as though the their object is to simply jump through the  hoop and move to another one.

Philandria Williams

Sprints- sprints will allow me to break the lessons into smaller mini-lessons which will allow students to have a better chance of retaining the information. I will decide the best way to break the information down so that students are not overwhelmed with too much at once.

Sprint Variation- spring variation is just as important as sprints because you do not want students to get bored with the same format. This could look like a Prezi one day, a video the next, etc…

State Changes- state changes are so great because it is difficult to keep students engaged, even adults. If they are not engaged, then they are probably not learning anything. I can allow breaks for standing, music, dancing, etc.

Shaquanna Tuck

I agree that sprint variation is important.  If we lose the interest of the student because our lessons are repetitive,  they may not bother to show up for class at all.

Shaquanna Tuck

I am interested in implementing the following three strategies in my next live learning session: sprints, state changes, and flash reviews.

1.  Sprints will require me to divide my lessons into 15-20 mini-lessons.  This will allow me to maintain the attention of the students.  I will try to break these sprints into the following: common experience, practice, and application.  This will assure students that they understand the benefit of the information in their everyday experience and therefore increase the retention of the information in their working memory.

2. State changes are needed so that students’ attention cycle may be reset after each mini lesson.  I will have students get, move, or dance.  I could even show a funny clip to make them laugh. This will reduce their cognitive load and allow them to prepare for the next round of learning.

3.  Flash reviews along with sensory cues will help the students process, review, and rehearse the information.  I will use the chat box and poll feature of Blackboard Collaborate to do such reviews every so often through the lesson.

Chasidy Parks

Yes, Shaquanna.

I agree with your ideas for State Changes. I too believe that keeping the student’s attention is important.

Chasidy Parks

Sprints: I believe in not overwhelming my students. They need time to understand a concept in bits and pieces. Sprints help me as an instructor not overwhelm them with information. I can only cover so much content within a 15 -20 minute time frame. This will allow me to automatically narrow down and filter out what is important.

Sequence/ Chunking:  Sequencing will help with selecting which material will be covered. I want to be as organized as possible since lessons will be taught in sprints.  I want to present in the information in a logical format. This will help my students understand the material better. Also, it will help me stay focused on the goal of the lesson as the instructor.

Flash Reviews: A simple flash review will serve a brief verification method. It will allow the students to refresh on previous concepts. I will implement this by offering class polls and allowing the student speak out loud lesson definitions.

Annette Merier

The three that I chose were state changes, sprints, and flash reviews.  I actually used all three of these in my most recent lesson.

1.) State changes- I had the students stand up.  It seemed a little awkward for them and me but they complied (after a few seconds of thinking and some giggling) and didn’t seem to mind.  I do think that it helped them stay engaged.

2.) Sprints – I divided the lesson into about 15 minute segments.  I covered a topic we practiced and then we had a flash review.

3.  With the flash review I had the students answer questions and repeat answers.  They acted as if the repetition was a little awkward but I think that it did help the students commit some vocabulary to memory because when I asked the same questions at the next flash review almost all of them were able to answer without hints.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar