Course 2 Discussion Question #1

• This topic has 22 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated by .
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Clerico
      Keymaster
      • Describe how the IPARD process compares to how service projects are currently planned and executed in your program?
      • How can you use the IPARD steps help you integrate deeper levels of learning and create more meaningful service in your service learning?
      Sherrie Kirbach

Currently we are a SERVICE – learning site. I feel by integrating the IPARD process into our program will not only create a more impactful member experience it will also have a more, deeper, impact on staff! Service will not be viewed as something we have to do – but, something we want to do!

KuLena R. Burton

YES! SERVICE-learning is a trip. In the past, that has been the scope of our site as well. Ensuring that the young people have a voice and choice, along with the leadership honoring Primary service and partnerships has remained an uphill battle. So glad that this training has been provided to help actualize a balanced experience.

Crystal Pena

I agree with this! It betters the member experience!

Zanda Miller

I too agree. I feel we have completed more SERVICE-learning than SERVICE-LEARNING. This training has been great. I agree by utilizing all learned in this training will benefit the students, staff, and community partners.

Matthew Fisher

So far from participating in this course I now see the opportunity to for all of us to think about and name the specific learning objectives that will come out of executing a specific service project or activity.   This will provide a more richer and deeper service experience.  At YouthBuild USA we have always focused on turning up the volume on SERVICE at our programs but now I see the opportyunity to turn up the volume the learning part as well so we have SERVICE-LEARNING.

I wonder as we look to implement IPARD if there is a way to list out the learning objectives at the same  time for each of the 5 steps?   Is there a worksheet that we can provide to help staff think this through.

Matt Fisher

I appreciate your acknowledgment around how IPARD can enhance the SERVICE-learning experience for not just your members but also your staff too.  I hadn’t  thought about the importance of making sure our collegaues our on board too.

Crystal Pena

I wish that all of this information was in a manual somewhere. I love it all and want to utilize it in the program, but I fear I won’t remember all of the steps! Just a suggestion to “manualize” this! I know there are people in YB AmC that love to do manuals…LOL!

Amber Palmeri

I agree with this. I’ve been reflecting a lot on the importance of “why” and sharing “purpose” to increase engagement. I think your point about IPARD helping members view service as  something meaningful and not just something we are filling their time with is spot on.

Amber Palmeri

I get confused on which “reply” to click. That last comment was replying to Sherrie above. 🙂

Tanza Pugliese

Same, I think it would be helpful for training other staff.

KuLena R. Burton

Matthew,

Thank you for supporting us with extraordinary training experiences, while ensuring that, we are fueled with applicable models, that can be applied throughout programs. Both YouthBuild USA and Mockingbird Education have created an amazing platform.  It’s a pleasure to learn & share in this experience, with both my online peers and the facilitators.

Virginia Hamilton

I agree with you KuLena. It is awesome to be part of an organization that prioritizing learning for staff and members. I have really enjoyed learning and appreciate the YouthBuild USA staffs willingness to be open to growing and new ideas.

Candace Copenhaver

I was not using the IPARD system. I have been teaching for 2 years and this is the first I have heard of it. I have stressed many hours over service learning projects. I wish I had been offered this course sooner!

I am looking forward to implementing ALL of the tools I have learned this far into my service learning projects. I believe the investigate area will help guide me to things that my students will find important for their community!

Amber Palmeri

I agree–I think that at first it might feel overwhelming just as a new tool, but overall, I think it really places learning in the members’ hands and allows the staff to play a more supportive role in learning. I’m looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

Do you have a specific staff person who oversees secondary service at your site? Do members participate in it as a class or a specific focus in the day?

Virginia Hamilton

I am new to YouthBuild and this has been a lovely learning experience to hopefully start my service projects off strong and on the write foot! Feeling a little overwhelmed but one step at a time!

Miranda Valentine

I agree that starting something new is always alittle overwhelming but by using IPARD will be helpful to keep the participants engaged throughout the whole service project. I notice some participants are excited to start the project but once the work gets tough they want to quit so hopefully by having the participant more engaged during the whole project will help.

Amber Palmeri

I think the three primary pieces we are really missing from IPARD are first, the members’ overall role in planning service. We do a quick survey each term to get a sense of member interests, but then the staff takes over planning. It will be so much more meaningful if the members take on that role. Second, we do reflection at the end of each project, but we have not really focused on service before and during projects. Lastly, I can only recall one time we’ve done a demonstration–and it was super successful. We invited friends and family to come to our site and members shared they projects they’d been working on. It was great, but time consuming. It would be helpful to keep doing it in a modified fashion.

Does anyone have ideas on how to better incorporate reflection into the before and during times? (I will also look at the reflection guide Tamara shared.)

Virginia Hamilton

We have never used the IPARD model at my site before. I am excited to implement this process.  Right now we try to incorporate learning but the activities are not planned by our students. We ask them for suggestions of activities but I am the one that normally plans all of the activities. I think encouraging ownership and event planning are important leadership skills that will be learned as a secondary objective of practicing the IPARD and FEASIBLE activities.

Miranda Valentine

I am not sure if our staff is using the IPARO for the services projects. If they are not, hopefully they will start. It sounds by using this system it will have the participants more engaged through start to finish of the service project. I really like the idea of the participant planning and executing the project. 

Crystal Pena
      • Describe how the IPARD process compares to how service projects are currently planned and executed in your program?
        • We don’t currently use IPARD. We do similar steps but they are not formalized like IPARD.
      • How can you use the IPARD steps help you integrate deeper levels of learning and create more meaningful service in your service learning?
        • I want to utilize IPARD because it is a formal process with steps. This will ensure everyone on staff is doing the service learning consistently allowing the members to understand expectations and steps with no confusion.
      Zanda Miller

The IPARD process is loosely utilized. I believe we touch the surface. I can see how informing staff and utilizing this process, step by step, can benefit our program. I see it as a “mind-set” change for some. Once we have full “buy-in”, I feel our projects/service will be actual Service Learning.

Tanza Pugliese

We do a pretty good job of this with our secondary service projects, but need to do better at integrating SERVICE-LEARNING into our primary service and academic  priorities.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar