Course 2 Discussion Question #1

• This topic has 53 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated by .
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Katie Holloway
      Keymaster
      Pick three of the strategies in the engagement strategies of master educators that you are interested in implementing in your next live learning session. For each strategy, in your own words…
      • Describe the role and purpose of the strategy and how the strategy helps at-risk learners with attention, working memory, or sensory memory challenges.
      • Explain how you think the strategy will help you as a facilitator, how you will use the strategy in your next live learning session and ​the specific steps you will take to implement the strategy.

Posting Instructions:
      Hit reply to this thread to post your initial response. Do not start a new topic. Only start a new topic when you are starting a new thread of conversation.
      Velida

Hello everyone! In my next live session, I plan to use the following engagement strategies:

1. Physical state change – plan to use a short stretch break with music e.g. duration of one song (loved that during our live-session) – for learners it affects their attention, motivation, energy. For teacher, similar effects as well as gives so much needed break to organize for the next 15-20 mins sprint session. I think too often we do not have these on the account of maximizing use of online time, but in fact the breaks would make sessions more productive and useful.

2. Flash review – allow learners 3-5 mins to repeat what we covered in their own words (as Tamara said: we don’t own information until we say it in our own words!) – for learners this affects their working memory, for teachers it increases chance for retention – move from working memory to long-term memory.

3. Use sensory cues to emphasize main points so the learner can recognize what they need to retain/store. This may be a symbol or imagery that highlights key messages e.g. a lightbulb. Also, use imagery to “summarize” complex concepts – like the circle in engagement strategy – and then move on through details of each piece. I think this strategy manipulates both sensory and working memory.

I will incorporate these in the design of the lesson and detailed facilitation plan.

Rachelle Watson

Hi Velida:

I completely agree with you about the importance of the state changes.  They absolutely help maximize the time and are totally worth it!  I also really loved using imagery in the classroom.  These are great habits!

Michelle Marland

Hi Velida,

I agree that we try to pack things in rather than allowing for that working memory to go back and forth to long term memory to really retain the information. There are so many times where we recall it for a week or two, but afterwards I am finding myself having to go back to my notes or ask for help as I haven’t consistently connected to the information and therefore it gets lost. These strategies Tamara has provided will hopefully limit this stressful experience and boost confidence as well!

-Michelle M.

Velida

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for your insights. Indeed, “packing things” is my biggest challenge. I kind of want to maximize use of online time together and sometimes mistakenly go for more content, more activities, etc. instead of taking slower pace, simplifying key messages and allocating more time for the working memory to actually start working:).

This course will definitely help with that.

Thank you,

velida

Melissa J Kreek

Velida, I’m excited to have a dance party in our next training!

RAMANANJOHANY Veroniaina

Hello,

For the engagement strategies, I will start with :

Enrollment : using an interactive activity such quiz/game to let people express their point of view. it could be conducted any time during the session but the best way is to held it at the beginning, at the end of each session. This could be combined with self reflection for the learner on their engagement and appreciation. Would the session sweets for them. It will be accompanied by music and animation and recognition for those who have expressed their ideas, a kind of recognition and motivation, encouragement to continue.

Physical state change : I agree to change learner state to make learner always on alert. I agree with Tamara strategy, asking learner to dance, stand up or make gestures that make learner laughing in order to give energy. Things that make people laugh can help them remember points and steps too.

Flash review : we need always to ensure that working memory retain the maximum of information. Learner should review in their own words the information. it helps also to practice and appreciate their assimilation of all the received information.

Velida

I think it is going to be fun Melissa:)

Dinorah Lorenzana

I agree with allowing students to express their understanding in their own words, I will try to do it at the beggining of my class too.

Fernanda Orellana

Hi! I love the idea of starting with some kind of big opening activity that would make people want to stay, I feel sometimes my students (adult professionals) get into a training hoping it is not as boring as their last meeting and end up dissapointed when all they do is listen to a long conference where they get little interaction with peers or even an opening aknowledgement that they are there, what brings them to that space, what expectations they have from that training and so. Definitely copying that idea from you 🙂

Andres Bucaro

I like your ideas on flash reviews.

Shelmith Mariara

Using sensory cues- I intend to use pictures of videos to ensure that my learners resonate with the teaching material and help them understand the content better.

Energy breaks – I intend to have short breaks to the learners in form of energizers and games to ensure that learners stay motivated and their concentration levels are in track. This will also give me a few minutes to gather my thoughts for the next session.

Small group discussions- I intend to give the learners a maximum of 5 minutes to discuss among their peers what we have covered or learnt during a particular session. This will give them time to explain concepts among themselves that might have been unclear.

Nadege Gbaguidi

Yes, Music helps :)!!!

Gregory

I agree music helps  and motivation biography  movies are very helpful !

Melissa J Kreek

Velida, I’m excited to have a dance party in our next regional training!

Melissa J Kreek

I love this idea of sensory cues as well, and think it could be a way for learners that aren’t as comfortable contributing in auditory/kinesthetic ways to engage.

Melissa

Velida

Hello,

I really like use of sensory cues and am finding myself spending a lot of time figuring what sensory cues are more appropriate/most associative to the concepts being introduced in the online training. It is not easy but totally worth time investment.

Thank you,

velida

Emily Lloyd

I think that sensory cues is a great idea. I see that you plan to use multiply sensory cues. We must ensure that each students learns what we are teaching by using the cues. The visual, auditory, and physical learners will benefit from using the sensory cues.

Brenda

Hello Katie,

Although I was impressed of how well these strategies work together, after the live session, I´d have to say the Sensory Cues is one of my favorites as a resource to stimulate and make sure learners are memorizing and capturing the information.  Another favorite would be the flash reviews which is a strategy of processing complex information.  My third personal favorite would be the state changes which should help keep that engagement during the lessons or topics.

Brenda

Hi Shelmith, it looks like your classes will be a lot of fun!  Congrats!

Andres Bucaro

The idea about games is great, and I think that can be related with flash reviews too.

Dinorah Lorenzana

I like the idea of the energy breaks!

Lany Moore

We have been using sensory cues in our school as we are stressing the importance of the 8 keys of Excellence to our students. It has been effective when we are managing our students.

Nadege Gbaguidi

Sprint variation

Once the trainer has put the learning into digestible mini-format, the sprint variation helps by varying content, activities and exercise, to avoid repetition and boredom. This will help the trainer to ensure good attention retention. Considering that there are some learners that prefer to learn by seeing (visual), some that prefer to learn by hearing (auditory), and some that prefer to learn by doing (kinesthetic), we need to have different types of activities to accommodate the different learning styles. Methods to be used can include watching a video, telling a story, case studies, reading, etc…

Social interaction and variation enables learners to interact with one another. It helps participants share their opinions and ideas and gives more people a chance to participate. It indicates if participants learned the information

In a virtual learning situation, I can engage my learners through small groups discussion, and learning from peers. Using breakout sessions, peer discussions etc…

Self reflection and articulation helps engage learners to ensure they understand and can apply what they are being taught. One way to implement this strategy can be having periodic check-ins during the course to ensure understanding (flash reviews). Have learners make an action plan to make a bridge between what they learn and how they will apply. Sole activities can include having them make a commitment or share personal reflections in the chatbox; have them keep a personal journal about how they can apply what they learn, assign them specific tasks to report on later after the training etc…

Rachelle Watson

Hi Nadege:

I also picked self reflection and articulation as one of my goals.  I think that’s the ultimate goal!  We want them to be able to own the information.  I hope it all goes well!

Ariel Espinoza

The self-reflection allows us to know the dynamic and interaction of the students with more complex topics. And allow to verify if the learning process is effective.

Ronnelle Sammons

Hello!

I agree that everyone learns in their own way and I think it is smart to make this connection with sprint variation. Not only is sprint variation good for capturing attention but can also be used to ensure you are teaching to everyone in your classroom, not only the majority.

I agree that social interaction is great because it allows everyone to share their views on the content. We all come from such different backgrounds and see things through a different lens. Having students share what they see can bring to light something you yourself never realized!

I really love they idea of creating a bridge between content and how it can be applied! My students ALWAYS want to know how they will use the information they are being provided.

Rachelle Watson

The three strategies I hope to integrate are: sprints, sprint variations, and self-reflection and articulation.

The role of sprints is to divide up content into management chunks so that learners can absorb and retain the information better. This helps learners because it allows them the opportunity to take in more information by letting them process smaller chunks at a time. This strategy will help me be more intentional with the content I am presenting. I will plan my sprints in advance by adding in cues into my PowerPoint so that both the learners and myself recognize that we have completed our sprint.

The role of sprint variations is to help learners process the content by using different methods of presentations or activities so that the learner doesn’t get bored and check out. This helps the learner because it allows them to maintain focus and attention, which ultimately improves retention. This is closely connected with sprints, and so I picked them because they fit so beautifully together. Once I have planned my content, I will make sure to adapt/alternate how I present the information or ask learners to process the information.

The role of self-reflection and articulation is to make sure that learners truly understand the content they are intended to have learned. It gives learners an opportunity to internalize and articulate in their own words, which is how we know they truly understand. I will use this strategy by giving time for learners to apply and process the content at the end of the lesson. I will make sure to leave enough time at the end for this activity.

Michelle Marland

Rachelle,

I agree that the sprint and sprint variation go hand in hand as well as your last one. All of these seem to indicate that time management is key to success. As you say, allowing enough time for learners to process at different levels and reflect and respond takes skill from the facilitator to engage and facilitate the journey so they actually learn and you not just “teaching” (like Tamara’s analogy about the dog whistling).

Regards,

Michelle M.

Emily Lloyd

I also chose sprints, I believe that breaking the information up will allow the student to be able to comprehend better. I am going to have to remember this as I am preparing my future classes. It is very easy to continue in a long lesson. I also am going to remember the state changes between the classes.

Michelle Marland

The three strategies I will use are sequencing and chunking, flash reviews and social interaction and variation.

The first one, sequence and chunking is where you make sure that the lessons are not only in small bits to easily digest the information, but that you identify that information with numbers. For example, when you do your flash review you can ask “what numbers are challenging for you?” and then determine as well, which ones they may find easy or they understand.

Therefore, the flash review, which helps process and recall memory from long-term to working memory and keeps attention to remember the information better. It is helpful when doing the flash reviews that you use visual cues, have the learners say the information in their own words and perhaps even use music during this time for a state change.

Social interaction and variation is when learners engage with each other and the information in pairs, groups or even individually to better process the information rather than only have engagement from the facilitator.

I think these three strategies will help me to vary the lessons and keep attention and focus as well as provide adult learners the space to also share and learn from each other. By using these strategies and by planning my lessons in advance and practice them, I will become more efficient and it will eventually become second nature.

Fernanda Orellana

Hi Michelle I didn´t pick sequence and chunking as one of my goals but I think I will  surely need that if I want my flash reviews and reflection-articulation parts of the class to go as planned. I think all the strategies are no stranger from one another and they all need to be implemented, as much as possible, in a class but of course is a long process and we need to adapt, refine and try again. Personally, I find sequence and chunking helps me when I study so might as well figure a way to adapt content delivered to partners in a similar format so they can retain the information and focus their attention and effort to understand that which is not completely clear to them.

Melissa J Kreek

I’m working on a training for colleagues implementing small enterprise development programming and plan to use these strategies:

#1. divide lessons into sprints – I have about 3 hours of course material that I plan to break into 8 mini-sessions to maintain attention and focus

#2. sprint variation – I plan to use a combination of case studies, exercises, videos, self-reflection, etc. to present the material to add variety and prevent boredom

#8. self-reflection and articulation – I plan to use 2-3 reflection questions for each mini session to ask learners to share what the lesson means to them and how they would apply the lesson to their work.  This will help learners process and internalize the information.

Thanks,

Melissa

Velida

Hi Melissa,

I love the idea of having 2-3 reflection questions at the end! I think flash reviews are very important and so easier to implement in on-site environment. Tamara’s words that we don’t own information until we put it in our own words resonates so well with me.

With these ideas you will have a great meeting :).

Good luck,

velida

Michelle Candy

Hi Velida–I just realized, reading your post, that I need some better time management. Sometimes I run up against the end of the class and my students are ready to leave before I’ve gotten to reflection questions. I hadn’t thought about that. Now I realize I need to work on timing better. Thanks for that!

Velida

Thank you Michelle! I am with you! I also think that I just need to slow down a little bit. I tend to rush sometimes as I constantly look at the watch and than think through – will I be able to cover it all :). I also tend to plan for every minute. Last week when I reflected on one of the webinars we had, I wondered why such a rush and why such a tight planning, there is nothing wrong if we end few mins earlier! I just need to repeat this to myself more often 🙂

Thank you!

Emily Lloyd

Pick three of the strategies in the engagement strategies of master educators that you are interested in implementing.

1. I plan to implement sprints in my online class. The 15 to 20 minute lesson will allow the student to not get board as they would with 1 long lesson. Breaking the lesson into 3 mini lessons will allow the student to comprehend each lesson better.

2. I plan to  add a flash review of the information be taught to ensure that the student understands what is taught. I will also have them write it in their own words which will help with retention.

3. State changes is another engagement strategy that I plan to use in my online classes. We normally only take 1 break in the 3 hour class, so this is something I really need to use. I will break my classes up into 3 sprints and end the sprint with state changes.

Michelle Candy

Wow, Emily, a three-hour class definitely poses a challenge, especially virtually! I think the sprints and sprint variations will really help to break up that time so minds are not numb by the end.

Michelle Candy

<div>Pick three of the strategies in the engagement strategies of master educators that you are interested in implementing in your next live learning session. For each strategy, in your own words…</div>

• Describe the role and purpose of the strategy and how the strategy helps at-risk learners with attention, working memory, or sensory memory challenges.
      • Explain how you think the strategy will help you as a facilitator, how you will use the strategy in your next live learning session and ​the specific steps you will take to implement the strategy.

1. I really need to work on thinking about sprints/variations. Since many of my incarcerated students have learning/attention challenges, limiting the amount of information at a time is important. I haven’t figured out how to do this well, yet, but I have found myself holding back on the amount of information and allowing more time for asking questions and discussion throughout.

2. Self-reflection and articulation – I feel this is tied in with the same issues mentioned above. Allowing for plenty of wait time on questions, not answering my own questions, allowing the students to think, reflect, and respond will help them build attention.

3. I feel that multisensory cues are pretty doggone important, but I’m not really sure how to begin implementing them. I think the use of images can help, to begin with. But hand actions? I’m afraid I’m not going to remember consistently. I think I need some suggestions on how I can use and encourage use of physical gestures in my social studies classes.

I guess what I’m saying is these are probably the most important, but I’m still kind of spinning my wheels in thinking about how to actually implement them. :/

Ariel Espinoza

Excelent! for us to get the best results we must to reduce the times where students may get distracted and delivery short lessons.

Ariel Espinoza

1- Sprint: Divide lessons into 15-20 minutes mini-lessons.
      2- State Changes: Change the mental, emotional, and physical state of learners at least every 15-20 minutes to sustain engagement.
      3- Sensory Cues: Use signals to cue information so learners quickly prioritize and capture important information in working memory.

The main objective is to improve the learning process, the communication skills and develop interest and commitment, those strategies help them to have an effective learning process, also it makes it more dynamic and interesting, as facilitator this will help me get an easier communication teacher to students.

Ronnelle Sammons

Hello,

I agree sprints are extremely important for students, but they also make it easier for the educator too! Having a mapped out plan when planning your lessons really helps! Student will begin to expect and anticipate small breaks which helps them focus.

What are some state changes you plan to implement? I like having students move to new seat, however this can be hard for student who are not used to state change. Start out small and work to more complex state changes.

We use sensory cues in our school culture to align with our 8 keys. I want to more toward using more sensory cue in the classroom.

Brenda

Hi Katie, for some reason my reply to your question went to Shelmith’s and I’m writing on the blind here…with white font on white background… weird…

Fernanda Orellana

Same here! I am able to read what I´m writingo only when I reply to someone else and not the original post.

Anne Sellers

I am also writing ‘blind’ (same as Brenda, I cannot see the words as I type, white font on white background and I’m not sure how to change it!). Anyway, I think I would lie to try these 3 strategies: (1) sprint (and sprint variation – that’s 2, but they are connected!), multi-sensory cues, and reflect and articulate.

Anne Sellers

Now that I am responding to my own post, I can see the text, as well as the icons to change text. Very strange. Anyway, the role and purpose of sprint variation is (1) using sprints as a way to support learners’ attention and to reduce cognitive overload (that’s the sprint part) and (2) making the course more interesting and engaging (that’s the variation part) to retain learners’ attention throughout and also because we know that different learners will respond to different formats. The role/purpose of multi-sensory cues is to help with processing and retention of information – using multiple cues ‘wires’ the information together, making it easier for the learner to call up. Plus, again, different learners will respond to different cues (some may be more visual, some may prefer the auditory or physical cues). Finally, the ‘reflection and articulation’ (which is, actually, some of what we are doing in this discussion forum!) is a helpful way to support learners to process what they’ve heard, thinking through it, applying it to their own situations, and expressing what they’ve understood. I think that all 8 of the strategies are useful to have in mind when designing a training – and also to use as a checklist when reviewing/refining the final plan!

Velida

Hi Anne, I had the same challenge with responding to the original post. Only response to fellow participants is visible to me so I am kind of all over the place with responding to various posts. Just wanted to tell – you are not alone! 🙂

Andres Bucaro

1. Sprint variaton
      2. sensorycues
      reflection

Andres Bucaro

I will use:

Sprint variation to achieve more attention from students, It will help me because the will feel surprised with the rythm of the class.

Sensory cues to reach the sensory memory of students linking the concepts with sensations.

Reflection to reach the long term memory of students when they think how to apply the learning to their inmidiate reality.

Dinorah Lorenzana

Hello, I would like to try Flash Reviews, as I sometimes do them but not as frequent as I’m supposed. Second I would like to apply more Social interaction and variation, I have been struggling with this one, but I haven not done anything about it.

Fernanda Orellana

I´m going to try implementing the following strategies to keep my learners engaged during my next live learning session:

1.sprints (and obviously sprint variation): dividing the lesson into 15-20 minutes short sessions might be super useful as the students´ working memory can only fit so much and if a lot of information is delivered in one hour non-stop, they wont be able to process it, to actually cook it and save it in their long term memory, therefore their dish is going to be so full, their brain will not be engaged nor picking exactly what information they should save and what information is not useful. Using different strategies too such as the state changes and multisensory cues are included as a MUST here as these are different ways in which learners can get the information too. I work with the HRD on a project that strives to empower our partners in LACRO, strengthening and building their capacities.Since there are many different program areas we generally have a TA deliver a short training within a week, meaning a lot of information needs to be transferred in so little time and we end up having this exhausting-for-everyone-involved two-hour long monologues where our partner´s staff is completely quiet and make no questions and later on, when implementing they request help and start from scratch….so, I think we need to adapt our trainings to the sprint formula as it allows us to
      prioritize information, give the basics of a topic, keep our partners´staff engaged and we make sure the information is being correctly stored in their long term memories.

2. flash reviews: considering the context explained before, flash reviews will allow attendants throughout the session to revisit the content that is being thaught, allowing them to process and think if they have any particular question regarding the information they saw, because if we have a two-hour long class, by then end of it they won´t remember the questions they had from the first 15-mins of the lesson. So here the sequence and chunking information is implied as the information needs to have certain schema so the flash reviews make sense accross the session. Checking the content with TAs and helping them figure out a way to deliver the topic “step by step” or following a sequence will be necessary so people not only have digestible chunks of what they need to know but are able to follow the whole process of saving and retrieving the info within 20 minutes. Conducting these periodic reviews with sensory cues will help them process, rehearse, reflect and articulate not only what they just learned but start building ideas and questions around a moment where they had a problem related to “that specific step”.

3. self reflection and articulation: once the session is in place and has been delivered in the most effective way possible, hopefuly with the leverage of flash reviews…students should be able to articulate the information received, share experiences and best practices arounf a topic, allowing that exchange of expertise we want to foster between our partners as they work in similar regional contexts. Reflection will also allow them to take a moment and make the right questions to our TAs, making the most of that space where they get to listen from our global experts who can´t always travel and help them when they implement but can share their experience and knowledge in the virtual sesssions. Engaging learners in periodic self-reflection goes hand in hand with the flash reviews, as part of a well constituted lesson, they should be given some minutes to process, articulate and bring the questions at the right moment so everything is clear and can even put on the table an idea the TA had forgotten sharing.

Ronnelle Sammons

The three engagement strategies I am most interested in implementing are sprint variation, social interactions and variation, and flash reviews.
      Sprint variation: Sprint variation is all about changing up how you deliver your sprints. This strategy is used to keep students attention and to improve engagement. Sprint variation keeps things interesting! I think this strategy will help with our attendance by increasing student desire to attend classes. I also believe it will help with memory retention since everything starts with attention! In my next live learning I will ensure I have a plan that breaks my sprints up into different formats using different modes of media and interactive tools.
      Social Interactions and Variation: Social interactions help students learn from the peers, who may see the material in a way you yourself never saw it. It also builds community in the classroom and the school as a whole. It is important to create variation with student social interactions for them to benefit the most. I plan to use break out rooms, bulletin boards, and discussion forms to add to my next learning session to keep students engaged with each other throughout the entire class, and not just with others they are already comfortable with.
      Flash Reviews: Flash reviews require students to retrieve information from short or long term memory and work with it again in their working memory. This process wears a path and makes it easier for students to retrieve the information again later. Flash reviews are great facilitators or this process and can be done using images or sensory cues. I plan to include flash reviews in my next learning session by creating an image to match important terms and to include these images in frequent quick reviews.

Lany Moore

I did not choose flash reviews, but I believe this engagement strategy is also important. Instead, I incorporate this strategy in one of my sprints (matching pair). The social interaction and variation are also embedded in my Collaborative Board and Polls.

Lany Moore

I will focus on three engagement strategies such as; Sprint Variation, Sequence and Chunking, and Self Reflection and Articulation. Given the students, I have at my school.

Sprint Variation- I have been using different platforms to cater to the needs of my students. The interactive videos that are embedded in nearpod are very helpful to my students to learn the content. I can import youtube videos or my own videos to teach the lesson and the students can interact through multiple choice questions or open-ended questions as they watch them. The videos are limited to 15 minutes or less. The matching pair is another activity for sprint where students can review some of the concepts of the lesson before taking the formal assessment. Time to Climb or Kahoot can be used as another sprint. It is a gamified quiz that is useful for the assessment of students’ learning. Collaborative Board and Poll are activities that are useful for Self-Reflection and Articulation. Students can have a discussion through the collaborative board and can voice out their opinions. The Poll is useful for knowing how many students are understanding the lesson and how many students need assistance or remedial instruction.

Sequence and Chunking- As a teacher it is my responsibility to identify the learning levels of my students. In math, sequence and chunking are necessary. I need to make sure that the students know the prerequisites of the new lesson in order for them to be confident for the new task. If the lessons are hard, I need to chunk them to make it easier for the students to understand.

Self-Reflection and Articulation- I will do this before and after the lesson and even in between the lesson as needed. I will implement this through Polls and collaborative boards.

The lesson should be connected in each of these activities.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar