Course 1 Discussion Question #2

• This topic has 11 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated by .
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Pierre LaFun
      Keymaster

In your own words, describe how you can use discussion questions and checkpoints in your hybrid online program.  Outline the next steps you will need to take to begin successfully implementing these strategies in your program.

• #30948 Reply
      Chelsea Peters

Discussion questions and checkpoints can act as really helpful check for understanding points in the learning path. They help to chunk information and learning through formative assessment. This helps the facilitator to understand what learners are getting and not getting along the way so that the coaching can provide targeted support to the concepts and content learners are finding challenging and also it offers a feedback loop to the facilitator to see where they are doing well and where they are falling short in their explanations, activities and transfer of knowledge in general.

In order to implement this in my (imaginary) program I need to backwards design/map the content against the learning path, identify the key content and concepts and chunk them into digestible parts. Then I would identify  the 2 points where the discussion questions could really allow learners to demonstrate their understanding while also giving them enough flexibility to be able to engage with each other meaningfully about the topic. After (or before) I’d create checkpoint activities to assess their understanding. Then I would need a great tech friend or an easy LMS to put it all online 🙂

• #30967 Reply
        Ricardo Castro

Discussions and checkpoints are the mechanisms to know as facilitators if the learners are understanding the contents, if they are understanding the objectives of the course. It helps us as a thermometer of how we can vary the difficulty of the content and / or continue with the strategies.

• #31055 Reply
          Chelsea Peters

Ricardo, I like the reference to the thermometer. I would make a great visual! I we could also use the thermometer reference to check how hot or cold the facilitation is or for learners to self-assess their comprehension.

• #31285 Reply
        Gaby

Chelsea, reading your comment now just proves why discussion questions are so great. I thought I had a clear understanding of what they were and how to use them but them reading the way in which you worded the definition and purpose, for example, was great! I feel I even have a better understanding of the strategies now. Thank you!

• #30950 Reply
      Mabel Guevara

I would use the questions in the debate to promote a peer exchange with the students and find out what I need to reinforce with the students. As Chelsea mentions, this will allow the learning path to be assessed and encourage everyone to participate.

A challenge in fostering a debate is that students have a friendly platform, a space of respect for ideas and that they feel comfortable with their own pace of learning. The follow-up of the eLearning strategies is key to working with both the facilitator and the students using the live sessions and the coaching sessions to reinforce the students’ competencies

• #30966 Reply
        Chelsea Peters

Mabel, the debate idea is interesting. I haven’t been involved in a debate in a virtual session. Sounds interesting!

• #30968 Reply
          Ricardo Castro

Note that online discussions are very interesting, as long as there are well-established room rules and the facilitator provides feedback and participates in it. I have been in several where the facilitator does not participate or set room rules, in others where the rules were not very clear and I have been as a facilitator participating or moderating … it is a job that requires time and being neutral.

• #31286 Reply
        Gaby

Mabel, I find what you are saying to be so on point! How to make sure not only that the platform is friendly and respectful, but also that participants feel that it is, so that they are encouraged to participate! This can be so hard to accomplish and I think it starts with how we phrase the questions.

• #31284 Reply
      Gaby

When teaching, I will use discussion questions in order to 1) make sure participants are interacting with each other so they can learn from what others are writing, practice social interactions, bond and put their learning in their own words & 2) make sure I can see how they are interpreting the content of the course and where they are having the most difficulties so I can focus on that on the coaching session, for example.

I would also use checkpoints to that participants have a chance to not only review content, but also try and put it into their own words so that I, as a facilitator, can see where they are at (learning wise) and help clear things up if need be.

In order to put these strategies into practice, I have to have to 1) be able to formulate useful questions and checkpoint assignments, 2) have a clear understanding of the content & of the learning objective I am attempting to reach with my participants and 3) also make sure the way I facilitate and the way in which the platform has been designed helps participants reach that learning objective.

Gaby

• #31382 Reply
        Ivonne

Gaby,

comparto lo puntos que menciona para poner en practica las estrategias, personalmente sumaria un sistema de revision que me ayude a leer o revisar toda la informacion que recibo de los estudaintes (o un gran equipo de apoyo 🙂 ) creo que es necesario, especialmente cuando facilitamos grupos muy grandes.

• #31385 Reply
      Ivonne

considero que las preguntas de debate y los checkpoints son muy utiles para poder retroalimentarnos como facilitadores del aprendizaje de nuestros participantes, ademas de ayudarles a ellos a interactuar entre si y generar una aprendizaje colectivo.

pueden ser de utilidad despues de algunos temas complejos, para reforzar el aprendizaje y darles mas herramientas para analizarlos e internalizarlo.

creo que el reto es asegurar, especialmente para grupos grandes que como facilitadores podemos realmente tomar la informacion que recibimos de estas actividades y darle seguimiento, para apoyar a quienes no estan participando o entendiendo en totalidad los contenidos,

pensando en lo que hago hora con GAM podria utilizar Forms para hacer checkpoints de algunos contenidos y buscar alguna plataforma amigable que me permita hacer los debates.

Viewing 4 reply threads
Reply To: Course 1 Discussion Question #2
Your information:

Skip to toolbar