Course 1 Discussion Question #2

• This topic has 59 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated by .
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Katie Holloway
      Keymaster

In your own words…

1. Describe how you can use discussion questions and checkpoints in your hybrid online program.  Outline the next steps you will need to take to begin successfully implementing the strategies in your program.

Posting Instructions:
      Hit reply to this thread to post your initial response. Do not start a new topic. Only start a new topic when you are starting a new thread of conversation.

Noro

hello,

For my hybrid online course program, I will use discussion forums to:

– reinforce interaction/connection between learners and instructor to bring them to more exchange, communication, sharing experience or point of view and support between them.

– Provide support to learners to build their self-confidence

the Checkpoints will used to:

– push/help participants to reflect on what they learned,

– encourage participants to practice the new skills through different method like an assignment, to apply what they learned

and the next steps that I will do  to begin successfully implementing the strategies are:

– review the lessons, all the presentations , video that I have learned or listen/took before

– Reflect on what I learned, how I can apply that in the future an begin a design

– Discuss with peers to get more idea and enhance the design that I have already done

Michelle Marland

Noro,

I liked that you brought in the personal agency aspect of the learning and acquisition piece. As with this course, building that self-confidence through praise, motivation and care (personal touches) is something I have already valued and have taken away from this course and looks like you have as well. I also liked that you mentioned discussing things with your friends (your last point) as Tamara had mentioned we truly can not own it until we put it into our own words. Building solidarity, accountability and support helps reinforce the learning in a way that encourages community, an enabling environment and the mentality of “Yes, I can! and Yes, WE can!”

Ariel Espinoza

Hello,

I will implement the online discussion forums:

*To former a dynamic and interactive learning process.

*To motive to our learners in professional way, but, informal to create a different perspective of the learning process.

*To help my learners to improve the limited attention on the different learning methods.

Point of control:

*Limited attention.

*Learning methods.

Follow up on:

*Review the progress on the learners, provide Feedback and update the procedures.

RAMANANJOHANY Veroniaina

Hello Katie,

As, I plan to implement a hybrid online program, I totally agree to do the discussion forum through online platform such facebook for our learner (the only online platform accessible for our learners)- it help to build a trust and confidence interaction with the instructor and the learner and also help us to do an interactive learning due to the exchange and practice live.

The discussion forum help us to be time to time informed and giving advice. this help instructor to do the checkpoint also how learner use the skills and how instructor again to improve the course.

My next step is to review the curriculum that we already have – check if the curriculum follow the hybrid norms and the pathway to ensure all the steps to the discussion forum. then, finally ensure how we can evaluate learners skills and experience and how we can to celebrate it together. BAM

Brenda Punti

Congrats on thinking about FB for your forums, I belive creativity is key to successfull teaching.  Sometimes we may have limitations and not access to every tool.  Will and creativity can make a huge difference.

Nadege Gbaguidi

I like your ideas, Ariel!

Andres Bucaro

Hi Noro,

I like so much your idea about: push the participants to reflect their own learnings, I think It is a very encouraging way to demonstrate progress

Fernanda Orellana

I´m glad you brought the peer-sharing point on this. It is crucial for us as teachers to exchange information and help each other keeping students engaged in the program (specially if you´re co-teaching a group and they have another class right after yours)

Besides I think that discussion questions can help them link knowledge acquired in two different classes into one single task where they can debate, create new ideas or solutions or even build on someone else´s. Allowing students to realize everything they´re working on is connected opens up the door to their interest for more than one class and see ´the bigger picture´finding a real purpose for everything they´re doing as its all interconnected.

Dinorah Lorenzana

Interesting about the peer-sharing, I have the doubt about how to do it in an online class, I still feel unconfortable about how to encorage students to discuss as peers.

Amanda McCullough

Not sure what your content looks like, but whenever we have group activities/exercises, when we can present our participants with relevant examples to their experience, that tends to encourage more peer discussion (and honestly I always learn more about their experiences and potential holes in my discussion questions this way).

Melissa J Kreek

Note tech issue: Strangely, when replying to discussion question text is white! I don’t have this issue when replying to another thread so am doing so to post initial response :).

I’m thinking of a blended course I’m working on now to train new colleagues on basic technical concepts that they will need for their work. I believe discussion questions would be useful to ask participants to consider the technical lesson and think about how it applies in their experience. As participants in this training will be coming from different social, economic, geographic, ethnic and religious backgrounds, even simple questions or observations could provide really interesting perspectives for the rest of the cohort. For the training I’m working on now, we have 8 training modules that should take about 30 minutes of independent reading each. For these modules, 4-5 of them would lend themselves to such an exchange. I think a WhatsApp group for the cohort would work well for these given most participants would already be familiar with the technology and it would not require much time to access the system to keep up to date with what everyone was posting.

In terms of checkpoints, it would be great to have a mini assignment for 2-3 of these modules that serve to check comprehension. We could use a short case study format, with answers checked and discussed in the next face-to face meeting.

Melissa J Kreek

Note tech issue: Strangely, when replying to discussion question text is white! I don’t have this issue when replying to another thread so am doing so to post initial response :).

I’m thinking of a blended course I’m working on now to train new colleagues on basic technical concepts that they will need for their work. I believe discussion questions would be useful to ask participants to consider the technical lesson and think about how it applies in their experience. As participants in this training will be coming from different social, economic, geographic, ethnic and religious backgrounds, even simple questions or observations could provide really interesting perspectives for the rest of the cohort. For the training I’m working on now, we have 8 training modules that should take about 30 minutes of independent reading each. For these modules, 4-5 of them would lend themselves to such an exchange. I think a WhatsApp group for the cohort would work well for these given most participants would already be familiar with the technology and it would not require much time to access the system to keep up to date with what everyone was posting.

In terms of checkpoints, it would be great to have a mini assignment for 2-3 of these modules that serve to check comprehension. We could use a short case study format, with answers checked and discussed in the next face-to face meeting.

Emily Lloyd

Katie, I will use discussions in my hybrid online class to ensure my students understand the content of the lesson by asking each one to tell me in there own words about the materials taught.

Check points might be a mini quiz over 3 to 5 sprints, I may have the student to write about what they have learned, or as a group play a game that includes the material that was taught. The Check Point will allow me to gage if they know and understand the material.

Rachelle Watson

Hi Emily:

I like the variety of check point opportunities you listed.  I think it’s easy to get stuck in one or two methods, but keeping students engaged does involve keeping them on their toes a bit.

Myrlande Octave feuille

I Emily,

I totally agree with  your check point ideas…..

Ariel Espinoza

Hello Emily,

I really like the way you will implement this resourse, I believe it´s a good method, easy, simple, but, consistent.

Velida

Hello Veroniana,

I really like your point on role of technology, not only in terms of its accessibility, but also in terms of comfort with using it. I think the sandbox and then community forum discussion can serve as practical exposure to the technology. I find that even with technology we are sort of comfortable using, the new features or updates can make it confusing and cause discomfort. Also, great points that Discussion Questions can serve as opportunity to provide feedback and acknowledge progress.

Thank you

Amanda McCullough

I totally agree with your points on technology.  We have issues not only with users needing to adapt to updates/changes, but also users who utilize specific technology only intermittently, so there’s often an aspect of re-learning the same technology.

Jack Kaburu

Emily,

I like the idea of asking students to respond or interpret the content in their own words. personally, this works well for me as I get to visualize my words as I speak out.

Michelle Candy

Hi Jack,

I like your example of students responding in their own words. That may be a key for my integration of tech-related feedback. My (incarcerated) students are all in the same room but I’m in a different room. If we had iPads for each of them, on Padlet, they could respond with questions they may not be comfortable to ask, or they could tell me in their own words what they’ve learned.

Thanks!

Dinorah Lorenzana

Hey I like the idea of the mini quiz, have you done it before and do you  recommend an app to make the quizzes, or how do you do them?

Michelle Candy
      1. Describe how you can use discussion questions and checkpoints in your hybrid online program.  Outline the next steps you will need to take to begin successfully implementing the strategies in your program.

1. I think I can use discussion questions using Padlet on our iPads. I am currently checking to see whether we can lock the screen into that app without the students being able to close it or go to another app.

Our students are actually together, we’re just remote from them for mitigation reasons. So I’m not sure how they’d feel about interacting online rather than face to face, since they’re together anyway. But I will give it a try. I talked with my colleague about it, and she thought it was an interesting idea to try out.

2. Checkpoints will be relatively easy to implement, though they may not be online–I’m not absolutely sure I can work that out yet. But a quiz or a reading or a worksheet will work for that piece.

Michelle Marland

Emily,

Your application is very creative and interesting. I appreciate the time you took to find ways that are fun and appropriate for the learners to showcase their learning.

Michelle

Emily Lloyd

Michell I began teaching my regular class students online and at first it was a little difficult to  get them to interact, but once they began they continued. I have to really encourage the dialog and keep it very lite and fun. I am attempting to add in some of Tamara’s ideas to my teaching. We have to keep them engaged. Thank you for your great post.

Velida

Hi Michelle,

Your situation is very interesting – students together, educators remote. Given such a strong role of technology in youth’s lives, I do wonder if they would actually jump to the opportunity to engage online regardless of the opportunity for fate-to-face interaction. I think younger generations find online interaction very natural and often go-to option for establishing and then maintaining contacts.

Thank you!

Michelle Candy

HI Velinda,

I had wondered about the tech factor influencing their behavior as well. Most of our students are under 40, but there are some who are older. Some are very familiar with tech and others have never touched a computer or iPad. So it’s a really mixed bag.

Michelle Marland

Katie,

I can use discussion forums and checkpoints in the following ways:

Discussion Forums:

1. Used to engage learners to think critically and apply learning to further develop a subject matter

2. Allow participation and voice from more introverted learners rather than having them feel to shy to speak in front of a larger group

3. Allow learners to respond to their colleagues efforts and scenarios, give (hopefully positive) yet constructive feedback and thereby assist each other through the learning journey so it is not just the facilitator

Checkpoints:

1. Ensure learners are applying their newly acquired skills in a challenging yet reasonable manner through established expectations

2. Provide learners the opportunity to reflect and contextualize their learning to further the course as well as their own personal goals and objectives

The steps I will need to take are 1. creating a discussion question and checkpoint that is relevant, applies critical thinking, can be controversial for debate and expression of different points of view, and can showcase the learners experience up until this point in time, 2. providing a deadline and determination of total points possible if learners respond to the discussion forum and checkpoint, 3. providing a rubric and clear instructions and expectations of response. This information and the question and checkpoint themselves need to be posted in an agreed upon place for effective asynchronous learning.

Rachelle Watson

Hi Michelle:

I love your perspective in consideration of the shy participant.  That is one of the things I love about forums, the opportunity to give all learners an opportunity to process and reflect without the pressure of answering immediately.

Ariel Espinoza

Hello Michelle,

I like the way you think, I do believe it´s a good idea to inmplement this resourse like that way since you are giving the opportunity to share their personal opion and bring the knowledge to the practice.

Emily Lloyd

Michell Marland I really like that while that you included discussions it engages the learners to think critically and apply learning to further develop a subject matter. Teaching students to think critically not only helps them in RLA, but also in everyday life. When we have a problem we need to  able to think critically in order to solve the problem in the best way. Thank you for your great post.

Andres Bucaro

Your point 2 is great, to give voice to the more introverted learners, in a safe environment for them. Nice.

Brenda Punti

Hi Michelle, I liked how you took into consideration the introverted learners and saw this tool (discussion questions) as an option for them to participate and be heard.  I agree with you.

Jack Kaburu

Michelle,

The third point sounds interesting. This could  introduce or give a sense of teamwork amongst the learners and eventually help improve individual perfomance

Dominique

Hi Michelle, I like the diverse ways you have thought about using discussion forums.  I also noted the role of written forums (or other media) for the shy speaker.  I also think the opportunity it provides to step back and reflect on the learning is very helpful for retention of knowledge.

Michelle Candy

Hi Michelle,

From an introvert, I appreciate your point #2. The way our setting is right now, with all of our education students in a dorm with a TV and zoom, the introverted students have every excuse not to engage with discussions or classroom. Having iPads and being able to give feedback anonymously (probably?) might be just the ticket to engage them in the program again.

Melissa J Kreek

I appreciate this idea of using discussion forums to share and learn from other participant perspectives on the material. In this way, participants and facilitators alike may learn how participants are bringing their personal life and professional experience to analyze and interpret what the material means to them. I think this is a great way to challenge assumptions about what people believe to be “true” based on their own experience.

Rachelle Watson

In my current role as 9th grade success coordinator, I don’t do direct instruction at this time.  In the future, I might run an academic tutorial to help teach students organizational skills, time management, and goal setting skills.  So I am looking at this course through a future lens, but it’s harder because I don’t have the immediate integration of content.  That being said, in the future, I would use discussion questions to do self-reflection on progress, challenges, and successes.  Checkpoints could be done by personal reflection on progress, showcasing learning in content areas, or a “teach the teacher” activity.

I don’t have any next steps for implementing discussion questions or checkpoints, but I am planning to share out my learning of this course to my staff in January.  So my next steps will be trying to synthesize this information so that teachers (who are so busy and overwhelmed) can pull out some tangible nuggets to implement when we start our third quarter.

Michelle Candy

Hi Rachelle,

As a former 9th grade English teacher, I think you’re on the right track talking about self-reflection. I can see this being a powerful tool with 9th graders. I used to have my students engage in journal writing; this hybrid model could work in that way, as well. I think this pathway of teaching could be a fun method of engaging 9th graders (fun quizzes, funny videos, etc).

Velida

Hi Katie,

In my next online hybrid program I can use discussion questions by asking learners to comment on a Case Study (real life example) and explain what is done well in the example, what should be improved and why. The example would have to be clearly linked to the lessons taught. E.g. if I am teaching how to develop SMART indicators, I can give an example that has some issues with SMART dimensions.

I would use checkpoint in a form of mini-assignment to test the knowledge and skills they learned. For example, in the course on Indicators I could give them objective statements and ask them to develop SMART indicators for those. I really like the debrief questions  for learner: the why, the what and the how as this would help me understand how are they applying the lesson to their own situation and check if they are getting all key messages/whether my lesson was properly designed.

My next steps to apply this learning in my hybrid online course is to think at what points of the course I want to introduce DQ (and community forum as well) and mini-assignment. As I am teaching several key topics together, I need to ensure consistent learning path rather than alternate from topic to topic.

Thank you!

Velida

Hi Rachel,

I hear you when you say that everyone is so busy and overwhelmed! While everyone wants to learn new things, we need to be very careful how we deliver that new knowledge, and how much can actually be absorbed by the busy professionals! In my organization, we have opted for read-reflect-discuss “webinar” approach. Every six week, we introduce one topic prioritized by staff. We give readings e.g. guidance that covers that topic, reflect on readings through online form (one per group of staff) and during these 1.5 hour synchronous/online session we nail down the issues or concepts that were identified as confusing, or questions people have, discuss application of the concepts, etc. We used to have these more often, but it seems that 6 weeks is much more appropriate. Just sharing in case you find that approach useful.

Thank you!

Fernanda Orellana

Loved the idea! Thanks for sharing. My webinars are very akward sometimes, attendants are reluctant to participate or have any kind of conversation at all maybe because they either lack interest or they just don´t quite digest the information that quick so maybe having them check some documents, discuss and then give a summary and clarify doubts as a whole group might be a good solution.

Velida

Thank you for your insights Fernanda! Indeed webinars can become very strange, you often feel like you are talking to yourself. Over the time we realized that this pre-webinar reading is key to make the webinar time more meaningful and engaging. Short polls also help a lot and if you make them anonymous, people (especially adults/professionals) feel less intimidated.

Thank you!

Anne Sellers

Hi Velida, I was also thinking very much about the case study idea – although thinking of it as more of a checkpoint activity than a discussion forum question! I think that is because the case study is a good format for having people think critically and use the skills / knowledge just covered to determine how they might respond differently! I was thinking about this as I read the examples of the discussion forum included in the Mockingbird document.

On the discussion forum, I think the biggest challenge – for me – is how to help learners balance time constraints. It does take a lot of time to read posts, especially if you are in a large class, and sometimes that can feel overwhelming!

Andres Bucaro

I am considering using the discussion forums as a feedback mechanism for the ToT sessions we develop, maybe we can reinforce some key messages with them. The use of checkpoints for complementary o explanatory contents. The live session will include the essencial topics and key messages.

My nexts steps will be design an effetive distribution of contents for the live session (the essencial ones), the checkpoint moment (complementary or explanatory content) and the discussion forum (reinforcing the key messages)

Velida

Hi Andres, I think using this approach to TOT is a wonderful idea! I find TOTs so interesting as in addition to a need to have substantial knowledge on TOT theme topic, participants also need to gain knowledge on training delivery. Always exciting to do TOTs.

Thank you!

Fernanda Orellana

Discussion questions can bring to the conversation and program, learners expertise and allow them to share how they have applied what they have learnt in their own program implementation considering different contexts, they might also aim to collect best practives from partners on how to apply acquired knowledge to their so different yet similar vulnerable conditions. Since my project strives for learners to replicate what they are taught to their smaller diocesis, a checkpoint will be very helpful along the way to check up on how they´re doing with those teach backs to their own students, get feedback on how to better serve and adjust to their needs as well as confirming wether they need reinforcement, accompaniment on a certain topic or not.

As next steps, I´ll be opening soon a communication platform where they can share experiences but also I´ll be sending out monthly surveys to assess their needs, after every webinar we hold a questionnaire will be sent out to participants so they can confirm acquired knowledge and ask questions related to those things they´re not sure yet how to apply.

Tizita

i like the idea of communication platform, i will be planning to do so. for the survey i prefer to do it two times per month.

Shelmith Mariara

I love these ideas!

Dominique

Hi Fernanda,

I like your suggestion of using DQ to generate applications of learning to unique situations.   And having learners share their proposed adjustments of the common learning content to their contexts & needs through discussion forums should contribute to further learning precisely on this adaptation process, which is key to actual use of the new knowledge.  This would be particularly useful for adult learners and ToTs similar to those you describe, Fernanda.  It would also be quite appropriate for many of my training situations.  Lots of useful ideas here!

Jack Kaburu

Katie,

I would use discussion questions in my class to:

• Encourage learners to show their true identity as use of other forums may not do so.
      • Discussion questions are useful to gauge the learners understanding of the topics at hand. This will me guide the learners as well as provide constructive feedback.
      • The discussion questions can be used to gauge the ‘mood’ of the learners and therefore help me adjust the learning.
        Velida

Hi Jack,

I really like your point on using discussion questions to adjust the curriculum. I very much agree that this is a way to understand how much students have learned, but also where do they have challenges. Checkpoint can also help.

Thank you!

Tizita

I use discussion forum to promote interaction and discussion with learners and to encourage learners to ask questions. to review progress of learners. to introduce new tech

Brenda Punti

Hi Katie,

I´d implement the use of discussion questions to create debates and to know about the learner´s point of views, interests and experienses about a specific topic, plus learning about their problem solving habilities and also to push healthy interaction among learners.  In regards to checkpoints, I´d use them to reinforce their knowledge and evaluate their learning and to identify if any reinforcement is required.

Dominique

Hi Katie,

I see a couple different ways I could use DQ and checkpoints in my courses.

Like Velida (we do a lot of our courses together!), I am a big fan of combining individual reading (or videos), team-based/cohort reflection on new learning and use in their work, then facilitated in-person training or shorter online live webinars.  Discussion Forums could nicely complement the cohort reflection, providing an alternative communication method for shy learners — e.g. asking each learner to share one thing that they learned or are curious about in their own words.   It could be fun to share a short podcast, video or article related to the topic of the course but from every day life to have them react to this real life example.

I am a big fan of regular check-ins to check understanding & retention. During online webinars, I often use quizzes or open chats, but it’s hard to have everyone participate in open chats.  During in-person training, we usually have participant write their ideas, new learning, pending questions, potential applications of learning, etc. in an individual “Learning Journal”.    I think DQ serve one of the key functions of the LJ = having participants reflect on their learning and relate it to their experience and needs.   And I like the added value of sharing that learning with each other.

I would need to think through the technology — Team’s Whiteboard function may most closely mirror padlets; but I definitely need to test the technology !  Similarly to Jack, I think I think I would prefer discussion forums not to be anonymous, to foster more exchanges and connections.   Or at least to move towards this as participants because more familiar with one another and less shy to share.

Dinorah Lorenzana

Hello,

I’d use discussion forums to help them reflect the information provided in previous lessons.

Identify if they are getting enough information and understanding the topics.

For the checkpoints I’d probably use a short quiz to check understanding, and also to identify if further reinforcement is required.

Anne Sellers

Hi Dominique, I agree with your points. We also use a ‘learning journal’ quite frequently – from my perspective, it does help people retain and process information. To me, the MSTeams whiteboard is OK, but isn’t nearly as easy or user-friendly as the padlet (and, at least in my experience, participants can erase each other’s work / input by mistake). I really like padlet – I feel like it is VERY user-friendly!

Amanda McCullough

I can use discussion questions and checkpoints in my online programs to ensure that participants are engaged, and to check learning.

First step will be to identify learning objectives at different points in the course, and to develop questions that will measure/track understanding of those themes.

Nadege Gbaguidi

Discussion questions are good ways to encourage learning and exchange among participants. They give more opportunities to participants to interact with each other.

Mini-Quizzes and post-test can be good checkpoints to ensure participants understand and are applying the knowledge and skills they are receiving. The main challenge will be how to find creative ways to keep them engaged

Melissa J Kreek

Hi Nadege, Yes I agree about the facility of discussion questions to exchange ideas and also appreciate the idea as a way to apply a technical lesson to the participant’s own experience to see how s/he has internalized the learning.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar