Course 1 Discussion Question #1

• This topic has 13 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated by .
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Pierre LaFun
      Keymaster
      Slide decks for the live session and the coaching session are designed and organized to help the facilitators meet 4 objectives:
      1. Make learning visible
      2. Make learning interactive and multi-sensory
      3. Make learning psychologically safe
      4. Make learning socially non-threatening
      Review the design of the slide decks for the live session and the coaching session (in the facilitator manual) and the orientation to the Mockingbird Methodology.
      In your own words, describe how the slide deck organization and slides help facilitators achieve each of the objectives.
      Gaby Alfaro

The slide deck is a great tool for facilitators to design and provide their learners with a consistent learning path. It is basically a formula that each live session can gain inspiration from when it comes to adding in the content for any given session.

It makes learning visible by including little text and more images; images that represent a specific concept for example, that will allow learners to then see the image and remember the concept. It also helps when learners immediately associate certain images with concepts because in a way, we are creating short cuts in their brain.

The slide deck also helps learning be interactive and multisensory by including throughout all of the different techniques we as facilitators can use to not make online learning a dull, unexciting experience. For example, we see that it recommends the use of padlet and dancing and the chatbox throughout.

Finally, by reviewing the slide deck, I am overwhelmed by how safe and socially non threatening learning feels in this world! There are constant motivational messages, the questions asked are of low risk and encourage me to participate and the content is being presented in a measured manner that doesn´t feel like it´s bashing me in the head, (therefore less chances of me deserting and more chances of me learning!)

Michelle Marland

Gaby,

Thanks for your response. I agree when that music goes I can’t help to get in a happy mood and be excited for our session and interaction and want to move to the music and even sing along!

Good point in the low risk questions to build that trust with the learner.

Michelle

Chelsea Peters

Gaby I like what you said about the content not bashing you in the head 🙂 It’s true – the way that the content is strategically organized into digestible bites its easier to internalize and comprehend without getting overwhelmed by the fact that there are a ton of slides.

Ricardo Castro

It does not matter what mechanism is used for training, whether in person or online; in this case, in particular, the slide deck is a guiding tool to strengthen the learners’ learning path. It helps us to strategically manage the contents and it is also designed for sprints. Adding a little visual aid that generates more interest than excessive written content.
        Visual generates greater engagement and contributes to better interaction.

Ivonne

el paquete de diapositivas contibuye significativamente al trabajo que realizamos como facilitadores, me gusto mucho la forma en que esta organizado, especialmente la separacion por secciones, es algo que no conocia y como dices tu me ayuda a no abrumarme con tanta diapositiva.

es un recurso valioso especialmente para aquellos que somos muy visuales para aprender.

Chelsea Peters

The slide deck is a great tool to support teaching and learning that follows the learning path and helps to structure the content for the session. Using a slide deck in general helps the facilitator to organize the content and information making the live session more effective. Having the consistent (and visual) learning path contributes to creating a psychologically safe environment. The friendly images and low-risk questions further contribute to this as well. It helps the facilitator cater to different types of learners through interactive media.

The visuals are helpful because they are consistently used and reinforced, acting as cues that help participants recall what they have learned which is great for reducing cognitive load. There are also cues that help the facilitator engage with participants in a participatory and multi-sensory way such as say it with me, speak a lot and type in the chat box that is socially non-threatening.

The slide deck also helps to establish the expectations and objectives. Knowing these up front helps to set parameters for the session and also make participants feel comfortable so that they are not caught off guard later.

Michelle Marland

Chelsea,

I really like your last point. The benefits are there for the learner and not just the facilitator. The transparency and showing them all the information and how its structured and telling them why it is structured that way is key!

Michelle

Ricardo Castro

An important part is how we make students feel … It is always good that they feel comfortable, but that they feel confident that we are leading them on a good path, the issue of transparency is important, it makes them know that we are all the same

Gaby Alfaro

Hi Chelsea, I really liked the bit about how the slide deck helps you structure and organize the content. It really is amazing to see how a learner can get totally lost simply because of how information is presented. Personally, this is a great tool for me because when I get excited, I tend to ramble a lot and go on a tangent, and this can be really confusing for a participant of course.

Ivonne

Chelsea,

me gusta mucho el enfasis en las imagenes amigables y las preguntas de bajo riesgo, no se trata solo de hacer visible el proceso de enseñanza aprendizaje, como lo menciona, debemos que hacerlo amigable, inspirador y socialmente seguro y las imagenes que elegimos influyen mucho en esto

Michelle Marland

The slide decks are great for the facilitator as they already have all the content there so the creation doesn’t add to the stress of creating the friendly non-threatening environment or coming up with how the information should be presented. The images not only help the learner but they help the facilitator as well just like the reminder clues in the bottom right. For example there isn’t a notes section at the bottom like in Powerpoint, but this also allows for content to presented in a more personal manner rather than a facilitator reading words on a slide. Thus, the facilitator can then concentrate on the learner’s experience and keeping them engaged through the chat box, individual activities, speak out loud, and holding up their fingers with their videos on. Lastly, the slide deck shows the learner where they are and to know they will have access to these slides as well as other multi-sensory media during the course.

Chelsea Peters

Michelle – great point about the how the images not only help the learner but the facilitator as well. I love the addition in this course of the reminder clues at the bottom. They really help the facilitator not get lost in the slide deck!

Gaby Alfaro

Hello Michelle and Chelsea, I completely agree with what you are talking about regarding the clues at the bottom right corner of the slides. I think the use of image is great to do a quick recall and therefore, not break the flow of the session. Also, while notes at the bottom help with presentations, I agree that it could make us as facilitators deliver the information in a less personal manner.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar