Course 1 Discussion Question #1

• This topic has 58 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated by .
Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Katie Holloway
      Keymaster
      In your own words, answer the following…
      • Describe at least 2 design elements of effective online programs that you feel you are missing  (or are not reaching their potential) in your online program approach.  If implemented in your program, how might the elements improve program success and learning outcomes.

Posting Instructions:
      Hit reply to this thread to post your initial response. Do not start a new topic. Only start a new topic when you are starting a new thread of conversation.

Michelle Marland

Hi Katie,

Good question. I think the element I am most missing in my online teaching is to check in on learning by asking learners to repeat back in their own words what they comprehended. This is hard to do when so much of our work is giving information rather than engage in discussion. The second would be to constantly engage them by having them post in the chat letters that are associated with the learning topic. So, if we want to know if people are ready to begin for example, they would type R in the chat box.

Melissa J Kreek

Hi Katie, Two areas I’d like to improve are: (1) pacing content into short mini sessions and (2) giving consistent, timely feedback.

I completely agree that shorter, dynamic sessions have potential to better capture and hold attention to improve focus and influence learning outcomes.  Timely feedback is important to encourage personal connections with remote learners and spark for continued engagement.

Thanks for the questions!

Coniqua

Michelle,

I agree with the repeat back in your own words, that isn’t something that I use often. For multi-day trainings we’ve used a volunteer or pair of volunteers to lead a recap of the previous days key points but haven’t really asked people to do it on an individual basis.

In the last live session I found it interesting when Tamara had us all doing this simultaneously.

Emily Lloyd

Hi Katie, two areas that need to improvement in are the engagement of my students and not creating sprints instead of one long session. By engaging my students by asking them to enter things into the chat box, give me a smiley face or by asking a student to read, they will have to pay more attention to what is going on. Also using sprints instead of long lessons, I can keep their attention and give many small breaks instead of look ones. I believe implementing both elements will increase my ability to keep the students returning to class.

Ariel Espinoza

Hello Katie,

I consider the consistent interaction between teachers and students, the frequent feedback, and the practice to repeat what students are learning with their owns words, these elements help to improve the education and the learning process, students need to start to implement those models to get a better performance on his professional career path.

Myrlande Octave feuille

Hi Katie,

for me in my online experiences my lessons was not organized in small sequences so my informations were a bit challenging to process by my learners , also I think I need to engage more often  with my learners  to change their emotional and physical state.

Noro

Hi Katie,

<span>In my point of view, the design elements for an effective online class that I’m missing are:
      – ensure that participants are engaged throughout the learning process. Using the tips with different questions to ensure that learners are still focus on the course is really helpful to sustain engagement.
      – Sprints: divide lessons into 15- 20 minutes mini-lessons because with face to face lessons, a session goes beyond 30 minutes, reducing them to 15 minutes is a real challenge. But I think , it’s helpful to ensure that participants retain more easily the information that we shared to them. The information is more simple and digest</span>

Rachelle Watson

Good morning Noro:

I so appreciate your response and completely agree with you.  If we aren’t doing everything we can to make sure the learners are engaged, we are missing a vital part of our job and expecting more of them than is fair.

Dominique

Good points, Noro. I agree with you that some activities are challenging to break into such small time frames, especially practical activities or group discussions.  But it’s a good reminder to further simplify and break anything too long into smaller sub-sessions.  It will take intentional design then lots of practice !

Melissa J Kreek

Hi Katie, Two areas I’d like to improve are: (1) pacing content into short mini sessions and (2) giving consistent, timely feedback.

I completely agree that shorter, dynamic sessions have potential to better capture and hold attention to improve focus and influence learning outcomes. Timely feedback is important to encourage personal connections with remote learners and spark for continued engagement.

Thanks for the questions!

Melissa J Kreek

Noro, I agree with your comment on the challenge to adjust the timeframe for a session delivered face to face into a shorter mini session.  I wonder if this would be an opportunity to use hybrid learning by providing material to read and reflect upon before the virtual session?

Emily Lloyd

Michelle Marland, I to feel that I do not ask my students to put things that I have taught in their own words. I also understand about feeling like you’re not engaging the student enough. There is so much to remember during the lesson we forget this big elements.

Ariel Espinoza

Hello Melissa, those are good points we have to take into consideration the law of the limited attention and the frequent Feedback. It will help us to get the best results and performance of our students.

LaShonda Evans

Hi Melissa,

I agree that breaking the info into shorter sessions and providing timely feedback would hold the students attention and allow for engagement.

Brenda Punti

Hi Melissa, I would agree applying these strategies will provide better learning outcomes and I also appreciate and agree with your comment about timely feedback for successfully encouraging and engaging learners.  Keeping it true and simple.

Andres Bucaro

Good points Melissa, because of your ideas I´m wondering if my perception of my inconsistent learning path maybe is related to lack of fedback.

Dinorah Lorenzana

You’re right feedback it’s important and sometimes as teachers we forget about it, we need to be consistant

Brenda Punti

Hi Katie, although I am not directly involved in any educational activities, there have been times when techniques and strategies as a facilitator come in handy.  I´ve noticed just following the hybrid learning path is already a challente and will certainly aim for a consistent and predictable learning path for my audiences.  Also the community forum I feel is much needed and blends nicely in the path with important social interaction.  I was impressed of how strategy number 7 is so important, otherwise we end up wearing out and with no time left for other activities.  Scheduling and planning is also something I will be implementing.

LaShonda Evans

Brenda,

you are so correct in your statement about we end up wearing ourselves out.  The consistent and predictable learning path is one that I think when mastered will alleviate that feeling.

Brenda Punti

You’re right LaShonda, certainly look forward to putting it to practice.  I’m glad to find some common ground in this forum 😉

Michelle Marland

Hi Brenda,

Thank you for your post and honesty. I have also found it difficult to get to these mini-challenges on a daily basis with all the other things going on in my life. If it’s a challenge for me and takes diligence and dedicated time out of my day (or even weekend), I can only imagine all the pushes and pulls our opportunity youth are facing to try and complete a course. Having this additional component keeps the information fresh, which I find the most helpful between our sessions.

Dinorah Lorenzana

Nice observation! I totally agree, I’m also not directly teaching rigth now, but I already see myself applying a few of the things that we are learning in this course.

Michelle Candy

Since I work in a prison setting, I’m not sure how to integrate forums. Currently, I am not aware of a way this could be integrated into the teaching. I have been trying to brainstorm this, but this is the biggest roadblock that I can see.

Also, of things that I can personally control, the consistent schedule is something that would help my students a great deal. In this covid time, it’s very hard to keep a consistent schedule AT ALL, but if we were to have a span of time that allowed for teaching on a regular basis, this consistent schedule would be very helpful.

(our virtual teaching involves zoom and iPads and computers and projectors with nothing that the students can manipulate, since they are not allowed online–it’s very complicated!)

Velida

Hi Michelle, that is so tough! Such a unique set of challenges. Consistent and predictable schedule indeed sounds like something that make a lot of difference. Good luck with your work!

Andres Bucaro

I think your point is very good. Given that forums have a social purpose, I am thinking if it is possible to present an on-site panel.

Fernanda Orellana

Hi Michelle! I would suggest to have a session scheduled so you can guide the “forum” through a zoom call and help them interact or why not? creating this sort of community “forum” with the same idea that women´s circles are created. The participants agree on dates, they take turns leading the topic and present results back to you on your next zoom call!

I know it might be challenging but perhaps give it a try and see how it goes!

LaShonda Evans

Hi Katie,

The two design elements that I feel are missing in my online approach are: 1)providing a consistent learning path and 2) breaking the material into short mini sessions.  I feel if I implemented these two elements, that my sessions would be more engaging and allow the participants that needed time to process the information more successfully.

Velida

Hi Noro, totally agree with you on challenges with transferring face-to-face training curriculum to online environment. It requires a lot of time and thought to make it right. I am finding myself making even more detailed facilitation notes as every minute needs to be planned and very little can be left to modification at the moment of delivery. Hopefully this learning will help 🙂

Michelle Candy

Hi LaShonda,

I agree on the mini sessions. I try to keep an eye on the clock, but I’m not very good at intentionally planning mini-sessions.

Amanda McCullough

I’m working on being more mindful of breaking or switching gears about every 15-20 minutes too, but one thing we’ve found helpful that’s along the same lines of breaking up information, was to create micro-learning videos (all under 6 minutes) that tackle a specific topic/task.  That’s not going to work for every situation, of course, but it’s been an awesome way to supplement our sessions in short, digestible pieces.

Velida

That is really wonderful idea Amanda! i think we often forget how powerful this switch of various techniques can be. And it really helps tremendously with attention. Thank you!

Anne Sellers

I agree with Velida – using short videos seems like an interesting way to break content up and present in another format, to extend learning! Great idea, Amanda!

Velida

Hi Katy,

I think I could improve: (1) allocate time for flash reviews and (2) use of sensory cues to present complex information. If I would change this, I think working memory of participants (and sensory in the case of 2) would be manipulated to support prioritization and organization, affect information retained in the working memory and eventually (and hopefully – fingers crossed!) transitioned to a long-term memory. Thank you!

Rachelle Watson

Hi Velida:

I appreciate your insight related to this topic.  I absolutely agree that sensory cues are important.  I liked to use them in my classroom related to concepts that we reused often.  I found it helpful!  And I also think flash reviews are a great concept to try to implement more.  Have a great day!

Velida

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for your insights! I also think that this part of the preparation is really creative and fun – it is not always easy to come up with clear and also appropriate imageries (e.g. appropriate to the background, culture, etc.). Have a wonderful day!

Emily Lloyd

Hi Amanda, I am teaching on line at the moment and I have slowly introduced engaging in the Mockingbird way. I forget to continue the practice as the lesson progresses. I am setting a goal for myself to create sprints and to engage my students more.

Rachelle Watson

Good morning Katie:

At this moment, I am not doing any direct instruction of students, but I observe current classrooms and I also am part of a larger staff, where leadership is delivering professional development and administrative tasks.  I think the two design elements most missing in our sprints and flash reviews.  I know for sure that our students (and staff during meetings) are disengaged.  When I went through the live training for this course, it was almost impossible to be off task because of the way Tamara ran the session.  That is something teachers/administrators need to be more aware of.  It’s our responsibility to make the kiddos be on task and if we aren’t doing that, then we shouldn’t be upset when they are not focused.  Part of that “forcing focus” will be the flash reviews.  I can’t tell you how many times in our staff meetings people repeat questions because we are multi-tasking and missing important content.  I think sprints and flash reviews will drastically help both our students and staff.

Michelle Candy

Rachelle, you have good thoughts about staff meetings! How many meetings have I tried not to look at the person opposite me to keep from laughing?

But a serious  question–I’m a very low-energy person, and watching everything Tamara does in a class is tiring for me. There literally is no way I could be as active and energetic as she is. I wonder how this could look with a lower-energy leader/teacher?

But the sprints and reviews are a good idea . . . .

Dominique

I relate to your comments about emulating Tamara, Michelle.  I would not have the energy to keep up more than 15 minutes; but fortunately I don’t work with at risk learners and my adult learners probably have an slightly longer attention span than hers.  Which does not mean I should not do my best not to be boring!

Amanda McCullough

After the live session I could NOT stop thinking about how exhausted Tamara must have been to do that entire session on her own and with that energy!

Esther Kauffman

Me too! I really admire her energy and determination to keep the class upbeat and engaging.

Velida

Hello Michelle,

I am identifying similar, relatively small things that I have never done before, but believe would make a huge difference. I think this would also be very new for our audience, especially flash reviews so I look forward checking out how it goes.

Velida

Hello Michelle,

I am identifying similar, relatively small things that I have never done before, but believe would make a huge difference. I think this would also be very new for our audience, especially flash reviews so I look forward checking out how it goes.

Thank you for your post!

Fernanda Orellana

I couldn´t agree more on this with you Rachelle! We need to be mindful of people´s attention span and plan, lead and deliver any type of session bearing this in thought. I loved how Tamara kept getting our focus back to her and I´m definitely applying that principle to my online meetings and webinars so my participants are engaged the whole session. PA is a must and that chat can really heat up things, turning a boring lecture into a real interactive yet not interrupted class.

Dominique

Hi Katie,  great questions!  I think one strategy I have not used in online learning to date is focusing on participants physical state, and Tamara is giving us plenty great examples to chose from — I will certainly aim to integration some stretching and moving around in my next training.  Another strategy I could use more of is sensory cues, in particular imagery and other visual cues to promote knowledge retention and support regular feedback loops.

Jack Kaburu

Divide the lesson into sprints – this will help break down the courses into manageable portions and assist the learners identify areas of interest.

Community forums posts. The forums create a knowledge base from posted information that can be accessed for future reference saving the need to answer the repeated questions. They are convenient and create a quick reference especially in technology trainings.

Consistent coaching – The consistent coaching hour will improve program success especially for new trainees. I think this is a form of handholding which can be maintained for a specific period

Shelmith Mariara

Use of sensory cues- for example pictures to enable the learners understand better and resonate with the course material.

Division of sessions- have small sessions with breaks or energizers to ensure the learners don’t loose concentration.

Ariel Espinoza

Hello Jack, I agree with you, the frequent coaching is important since the facilitator needs to approach to his student, it will help to develop the communication skills and the interactive learning process.

Esther Kauffman

Yes, the importance of pictures really struck me as well.

Amanda McCullough

Hello Katie!  I think I could do a better job of 1) breaking content down into smaller pieces, and 2) promoting discussion forums.

In longer presentations, we’ve done a decent job of breaking up the presentation at about 15-20 minute marks, but I think we could further break down content to make it more digestible.  Discussions are always fruitful as our learners learn from each other, and it helps us see where some of the pain points are, but we often don’t leave time for this type of discussion and feedback.

Dinorah Lorenzana

For me it is a mix of consistent learning path and consistent coaching. My mistake is to try to come up with creative ways to keep students interested, but end up with all of them confused because I don’t apply a consisten learning path.

Also as Tamara mentioned on the first live session, we try to be good teachers and want to help students as much as we can, but we don’t apply a consistent coaching, and we end up helping students 24/7.

Andres Bucaro

Hi, I´m considering that two important elements that I´m forgetting are using sprints (15 -20 mins) and an inconsistent learning path, thats whay I consider planning is crucial for me.

Esther Kauffman

Good question! I don’t have a lot of experience but am working on a training now and made two key changes after Tamara’s class. I added visual images to represent the key tips because I think this will really help people remember them and I added a discussion forum component. I also really appreciate all the ways Tamara keep the class engaging, especially with the music.

Velida

Hi Esther, I also loved the music! It is such a simple yet very powerful way to keep learners energized as well as to control time for the break! I have already started suggesting this strategy to other colleagues that are working on online trainings or workshops 🙂

Anne Sellers

Hi Esther, The idea of visual cues was definitely something I have been thinking about – and the return to those cues in the ‘flash reviews’ (e.g., consistently referring back to those same cues as a reminder of the content/discussion and a way for learners to process and remember!)

Dinorah Lorenzana

I’d say that the first one is sprint variation so my lessons can become repetitive or boring the second is not organizing information in small steps or chungs to be understood by my students.

Melissa J Kreek

Dinorah, I agree with this. I was just working on a curriculum this morning and saw I needed to break up the cycle of small group discussion/reporting.  I know this is going to take some practice to improve but at least now I’m recognizing it in time to correct!

Fernanda Orellana

I work with partner organizations so most of my teaching is focused on adults, therefore accomodating to people´s calendars and meetings has been extra challenging. When I heard that a consistent learning path and sprints are great e-learning design strategies I thought “this is BRILLIANT!” as my attendants can really focus on the information they need on a specific moment (that should be consistent and consequently always a saved time in their schedules) and also share how they´re applying best practices from what they learnt by having these kind of open spaces to share experiences and knowledge through a forum and not on a super long and time consuming online call where only few can interact.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar