Community Forum Course 2 Question

• This topic has 11 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated by .
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Pierre LaFun
      Keymaster

Review the Memory Formation Model in the Facilitator Manual (the Memory Formation Model can be found in the Live Session Content Module). The Memory Formation Model provides an overview of how memories are formed and how the formation of memories connects to the learner experience. Introduce yourself as one of the following components of the memory model (Sensory Memory, Attention, Working Memory, or Long Term Memory). Describe the memory component, how the component plays a role in learning, and WHY this component best represents you as an educator.

• #31089 Reply
      Chelsea Peters

Hi I’m sensory memory Chelsea. Sensory memory is perceived through our 5 senses – sight, hearing, taste, touch and smell – which transfer this information to our brain who then records the sensory experience as memory. Sensory memory plays a big role in learning. We all have different learning styles and a multi sensory approach addresses a broader variety of learners. Sensory memory is an important part of experiential learning and helps us to process our experiences and then later recall them more quickly.

I think this best describes me as both a learner and an educator. I spent a number of years as a classroom teacher and then designing programs for early grade reading and phonics – the more senses engaged the better the experience and learning outcomes. Even though I don’t teach little kids anymore I still try to ensure that my teaching is multi-sensory.

• #31098 Reply
        Ricardo Castro

I am more of a sensory memory, for a long time I have learned more through the senses and experimenting than based on traditional techniques, I learn more by watching and listening.

I believe that in a certain way my mind works although, in a holistic way, I need more sensorial stimuli to function

• #31276 Reply
          Michelle Marland

Ricardo,

Thanks for sharing a bit more about your learning style. I agree that new models are better than the traditional ones. I was always great a cramming for a quiz or test and do well but then a week or two later completely forget it.

Michelle

• #31238 Reply
        Ivonne

Chelsea, comparto que todos tenemos diferentes formas de aprender y creo que justo ahi es nuestro reto como educadores, porque debemos diseñar programas que le permita a nuestros estudiantes aprender usando todos los sentidos.

• #31275 Reply
        Michelle Marland

Dear Chelsea,

I was a substitute and afterschool director and often times while I created lesson plans with the teachers, it always had to be delivered in a way that was fun and engaging so that they didn’t even realize they were using math skills or measurements when baking something on site!

I agree that engaging them with multiple sensory options ensures everyone feels like they participate and can learn.

Michelle

• #31237 Reply
      Ivonne

Hola, Soy Ivonne memoria sensorial.

las sensaciones son el punto de partida de la percepcion, y la percepcion es el primer paso del proceso cognitivo “sin sensacion, no hay percepcion y sin percepcion no hay aprendizaje que podamos recordar”

considero que la memoria sensorial permite recibir informacion a traves de diferentes estimulos, que persisten incluso mas alla del mismo estimulo, lo que es importante pues los sentidos es nuestra forma institntiva de aprender.

este componente me representa como educadora porque estoy convencida que entre mas se involucren los sentidaos, mas facil y significativo es el aprendizaje, por lo que mi responsabilidad como educadora es hacer del proceso de aprendizaje un momento memorable.

• #31289 Reply
        Gaby

Hi Ivonne! Me parece muy interesante lo que mencionas sobre como entra el instinto en el proceso, es muy cierto y no lo había considerado! Por ejemplo, es normal para un joven que lean mientras escuchan al profesor hablar y que luego usen su voz para practicar o incluso sus manos para crear proyectos de clase y así, aprender mejor.

• #31274 Reply
      Michelle Marland

I am long-term memory formation. I take the information that was processed for comprehension and decide how to organize and code it so that it can be used either quickly and frequently or in the long-term. Normally, If I am not used regularly, I am often forgotten so it is important to code and put me in your brain in a cubby somewhere you can retrieve it quickly! As some one that has attention to details, the particulars matter and as  a pictorial learner, remembering where the information was on the page of a book or for example within a particular session/course will help me to recall that information later.

• #31290 Reply
        Gaby

So true how we can forget certain things but our brain literally has the capacity to “store” information in the same way in which we can physically story a file in a drawer for years to come, and then when it comes time to retrieve it, it is still there. However, the more you take it out, the less dusty it will be. And if you don’t take it out at all, well… maybe a cockroach ate it and that’s why it disappears.

• #31288 Reply
      Gaby

Hi, I’m Long term memory, because I’m actually an elephant named Ellie, and can be considered as one in two. Firstly, there is a part of me that makes sure information is retained, but this works best when the information is meaningful or has been presented to me in a way that makes sense and is organized! Secondly, I will work on recall and retrieval by making sure I practice remembering what I was taught, ideally through my many senses. Each time it should get easier!

• #31312 Reply
      Mabel Guevara

I consider myself to have a sensory memory. I certainly learn by using all my senses: sight, sometimes a drawing or a shape makes it easier to understand a message, a gesture, a beautiful environment, hearing, how a teacher expresses himself, with respect, security, taste, touch, smell.

This process has made me remember how I train others and it seems to be a very good way to teach because it is to use the whole being to learn, to perceive, to put into practice, and to make new learning unforgettable.

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: Community Forum Course 2 Question
Your information:

Skip to toolbar