Attention Span and Online Learning Experience

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Eleanor Kogut

The average online attention span of an adult is 2 – 3 minutes. Information and activities must be doled out in small increments, keeping the student actively engaged. For example, a lesson could look something like this: introduce a concept by viewing a mini lesson,YouTube (5-6 min), and then assign a corresponding IXL activity. Once those activities are completed, the students could take a short quiz (5 questions), testing the student’s understanding of the topic. In essence by doing the lessons in small increments, you are focusing on the short attention span. Not only should the activities be completed in short periods of time but there also needs to be a variety of activities, such as audio, visual, and hands -on, etc. In this manner you are meeting the needs of the students and keeping them actively engaged.

Seyon Washington

Students who struggled in school, dropped out, and are now returning don’t always come prepared and ready to learn. They are self-conscious; so their attention is often diverted to what others are doing in the classroom. If they see others working, they can use that as a cue to get back on task. This doesn’t occur in an online format. Teachers have to be aware that the students’ attention is limited and that the materials have to be engaging. Teachers should plan for very short spurts of direct instruction and then constantly re-engage the learners as they cycle through engagement and diffusion.

Ricardo Castro

I agree, Now, it is not only planning short class spaces, but also that it is attractive and why not a touch of games, where they can feel good. I think that when I go back to school, adaptation through play can help.

R.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar